Setting Permissions, Lock Down!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Right thanks for the help guys, managed to network 2 laptops (vista) to my pc (xp home) and i can share files and print which is great. Now i want to step it up a bit. I want to administrate a lock down on the 2 computers by blocking certain ports, and not giving them access to certain features such as right clicking on desktop, when they right click a box pops up prompting them for a password, not being able to right click on my comptuer, install or uninstall any software without a password. Just stuff like that really, what would i need to do this and how would i go about doing something like this?

Thank you!

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Cant you use windows firewall to lock down ports?

As for not being able to install/uninstall programs, just make them a member of the users group, not admins. It wont prevent them downloading and running plain exe's but it will stop them installing (most) applications.

I dont believe you can stop users from getting the context menu on the desktop. I think its just something they get - you can administer the policy on the machine to prevent them from changing certain things I believe though. Again, the same goes for the context menu on My Computer.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

It's possible to do all does things amte, they are done all the time at work places, libraries, colleges, univeristy and schools!

4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Also looking ports, i dont think you can actually use windows firewall to do this, i didnt even think you could do it. I know on most networks you would have to do it from your router, but here's the problem, if i block these ports from the rotuer, which i can do easily. I only want to block certain ports on two computers and then leave them open on the other two, by using the router to do this.. it would surely block the ports on all four instead of two right?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, you can lock down the PC to stop peeps installing software by using the security groups as Fergal has mentioned. Also look at the local group policy (click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc) and see if this can give you more options.

To lock down ports go into Windows firewall and then click the exceptions tab. In there click ‘add ports’ and then you can add a TCP\UDP port or port range.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

gpedit.msc does not work....

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Use run > mmc then add the Group Policy editor snap in.

I can't remember if a workgroup pc has group policy's on it. But you can edit the local security policy.

You may have to create a policy and copy it to a flash drive then apply it to each pc.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Thanks lads!