set background wallpaper to be the same across the network

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by iffizin, Nov 13, 2006.

1. iffizin

iffizin New Member

How can I set background wallpaper to be the same across the network instead of the defautl XP image. I want to do this with a GPO.

Domain Server : wondows 2000
    Client : Win XP

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Create an OU and put the users\PCs (can remember if this GP applies to users or computers, I think its users or it may be both) in it you want the policy to apply to.

Administrative Templates, Desktop, Active Desktop, Active Desktop Wallpaper.Enable Active Desktop Wallpaper and gave it a UNC path to the .jpeg (or whatever the wallpaper is)

You may also want to hide the tab in display properties that allows you to change the desktop wallpaper. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And then sit back and wait for all your users to start crying on the phone because their ugly baby picture has vanished :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

what you thinking of deploying?
    IT deployed bginfo and that pissed sooo many users off when the migrated the systems and locked eveyone down...

there was loads of calls logged saying they cant change their wallpaper, some users even thought they were hacked!

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have just tried this; done an update from the machine (although it is a User config) and it doesn't apply after a gpupdate.

It shows the policy being applied (gpresult) and it appears in the desktop choices within <display properties> as the name of the image.

What have i forgot to do? :oops:

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Sparky

have you enabled active desktop? 8)

Edit: you have rebooted the PC and logged back on after applying the gp?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

I had enabled active desktop and restarted twice, but it still wouldn't apply.
    The bizarre thing was, the second reboot turned the desktop plain blue. On closer inspection, i realised i had left the .jpg off the end of the UNC. :oops:

Cheers

Si

8. Sparky

Ahhh, no probs, plain blue shows that the policy is working but it just cant find the wallpaper.

For some reason sometimes you do have to reboot the PC a couple of times for GP to kick in. I think this basically forces the policy to take effect the as the refresh is every 90 mins with a random offset of 0-30 mins 8)

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ah, so if you see blue you are half way there!

As for the reboot's, I was under the impression that a /force on the client requesting would overide the 90/30 rule?

Si

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it should. And dont forget GPRESULT.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Sparky

Didnt realise that you had done that 1st time round :biggrin

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete,

Thanks. I prefer reading the output in a text file, but depending on the user (OK as admin) get denied errors when pointing it usign the > C: command.

Strange how you can <do> a gpresult within the command box but not paste it to a text file!

Si

13. Sparky

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

ah, thats more like it. :D

Si

15. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Well I've just started studying for the 70-290 and I thought I'd have a go at this, I did everything sparky said and placed the wallpaper in a shared folder on the server, I checked that the path was right but it still does not change the background on the computers. What could be wrong??

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Kraven,

Is the desktop picking up the GP? If you are not sure, paste the GPresult output here.

Si

17. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I had a look through the gpresult and I noticed it said this both on the computer settings and the user settings header:

Applied Group Policy Objects
    -----------------------------
    Default Domain Controllers Policy
    Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Local Group Policy
    Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Now I did everything that sparky said, I also put the both the user and the computer in the test OU that I created and applied the group policy for the wallpaper setting to that OU.

hmmm...

I dont understand what the problem could be?

EDIT: Oh btw the user who I'm applying this to is on a roaming profile, if that is any help.

18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

What are the share and NTFS permissions on your shared folder?

Oh and what flavour of server are you using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  19. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I'm using windows 2003 standard with xp clients and the permissions are full control for everybody on the folder. When looking at the gpresult, I notice that the new GPO I created called wallpaper wasn't on the list:

Applied Group Policy Objects
    -----------------------------
    Default Domain Policy

So that must be why, but what could be stopping it from being applied. I edited the default domain policy on the domain controller object to load the wallpaper, this worked as it changed my servers wallpaper. But I want it to work just on the OU I created.

Thanks
    Kraven

20. Sparky

Did you configure the default domain policy with the desktop wallpaper settings or did you create a new GPO and attach it to a OU which had the user and computer objects in it?

There is no mention of a policy apart from the default domain and DC polices.

It *may* be a DNS issue if the policy is not being picked up from the DC. :biggrin