Servicing a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nugget, May 26, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all. Just a general question.

What would you include as tasks to do for a general PC service? Some things I have in mind are

clean the case inside and out
    remove all the dust
    reseat all the cables to hdd, power, graphics etc
    visually check for bulging capacitors
    *pull out all cards and RAM and reseat them (would anyone recommend this?)
    run disk cleanup to remove all temp and old web page files
    defragment the disks

Anything else?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wouldn't bother pulling out cards and ram then reseating them. I would just check that they are in correctly.

I would however put a small drop of oil or grease on the bearings of each fan to help prolong the fans lives. Apart from that I would do everything you have mentioned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Maybe run Eusing free registry cleaner or another similar registry cleanup utility.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

same, wouldn't bother reseating them, just to be on the safe side like
    Remove any unneccesary applications
    Run ccleaner and the usual spy/ad ware utils.
    and finish of with a defrag, or what ever 3rd party app you would use.

5. DMC118

DMC118 Bit Poster

Hi with all as above stated Degauss your Monitor too.

Certifications: HSC,DCA,DCITE,A+,N+,CCNA
    WIP: CCNP & MCSE
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Patch it and make sure the AV is up to date. Wouldnt bother with anything else tbh 8)

If the PC is running slow then find out why, most likely lack of RAM or resource hungry AV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

If you are going to charge money you could compile a simple report that states if there are any bottlenecks in their PC and make a recommendation on a solution i.e. More RAM, better graphics card, gigabit ethernet card etc.

Maybe you could offer a "PIMP my PC" service where you throw some LED's in their case and upgrade the graphics and CPU or something. Just an idea :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. DMC118

DMC118 Bit Poster

CCleaner is great thank you for a good Link.

Certifications: HSC,DCA,DCITE,A+,N+,CCNA
    WIP: CCNP & MCSE
  9. psotek

psotek Bit Poster

ya, reg clean, but don't forget bout temporary files, defragment hdd and some other tasks like checkin registry run keys for example.
    psotek

Certifications: A+.MCDST
    WIP: 70-621
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for all the advice guys. All the tasks are just what I generally do every 6 months with my PC.

I'm not really looking for any way to earn extra money.

I'll be starting a new job next week and just looking for some things to do in the slow times (in about 6 months or so).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

As many posts have said above, dont bother reseating the cards etc, just make sure there's no dust on the pcb, and do a nice software cleanup. If it is for other people, don't forget they're only going to notice a performance increase... they won't open up the case :P
    Good luck with the job! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Quick overview and removal of unnecessary start-up apps?

I've done a couple of PC 'services' for my other half's family, this normally a pretty key offender

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

CRT's :D lovem

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

errr ....

checking windows updates esp that critical patches have been installed.....

and antivirus definition file is up-to-date

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes definately remove start up items, imediate performance boost, get yourself a can of compressed air, at least to the fans and bits you can see on the outside, may help make it quieter and cooler. as others have said spyware check followed by ccleaner to get rid of dead reg enteries caused by ripping out all the spyware.

Check AV status install free alternative if none exist, advise on what a bad idea, kazaa or similar is. Also if they are parents you could advise on the use of opendns to help protect their Inet traffic and give basic stats.

As the others have said good basic work to make the system seem more stable or faster, advise on lots of other things that could be extra's which is where you could charge the real money.

Beware though as soon as you touch a pc any subsequent problem related or not and they will expect you to fix it for free/same day. Private jobs are generally more hassle than they are worth TBH, especially if you are the type of person that feels guilty for charging 90 year old mrs goggins the 5 hours it took you to remove her spyware problem (which I am).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  16. psotek

psotek Bit Poster

before open case, ground yourself (ESD)

Certifications: A+.MCDST
    WIP: 70-621
  17. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

or touch the case regularly :)

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  18. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Moonwalks round room first
    Takes side panel off case
    Turn case upside down
    shake vigorously TIP:what full out you probably don't need.
    Put side panel back on job done.

----
    Nothing better then a rebuild & can of compress air
    when loading programs back on think do I really need this?

19. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

There's the old saying that 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' meaning don't touch cables or reseat ram ect unless you suspect they could be causing a problem.

As said before most people will notice a performance increase rather than a case that's been cleaned inside.

Maybe to add to this is advise on perhaps a memory upgrade if they are running very little ram as this can be big performance booster. A conversation on what they use there pc for to would be helpfull as you could also advise a ne w gfx card ect.

Hope this is helpfull. :D

Certifications: None
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Once again i tend to agree with Sparky.

Obviously if the PC is suffering from a problem my advice would be different but assuming all is ok with it, then i would not start messing around too much. you are likely to make matters worse. for example, a couple of people here have mentioned cleaning the registry. i have known this to break things, so why you would take a chance on a PC that is working ok baffles me a little.

Also, defrag takes time and with NTFS file systems is highly unlikely to give you any tangible performance boost. waste of time :wink:

Check the thing has ample hard drive space and if it's getting full, advise the user to uninstall any applications they don't really use.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)