service pack 2 for xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by dom73, Nov 10, 2004.

1. dom73

dom73 Bit Poster

is it possible ?
    after unzipping xp serv. pack 2 and installing, my another hard drive get broken ( couse xp s2), possible? :blink

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What do you mean gets broken? Do you mean your second hdd in the machine? I don't think installing XP SP2 would break your hdd.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you need to define broken for us dom. whats the issue? broken covers a multitude of problems!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Do you mean a version of Windows on that partition or drive wont load any more ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. dom73

dom73 Bit Poster

well after uzipping the sp2 on my another drive problem has started,
    i cant delete sp2 folder from my hd, then sometimes i can see my hd in the bios, sometimes not, diagnostic programms cant see any bad sectors, during using windows time to time hd just desappear, any way for now i am using broken hd as a mirror in full meaning of that word. ( i need to practice my english he he)

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you wont be able to delete the sp2 folder from the system most likely because the files in it are in use. if you want to remove sp2 there are procedures on the microsoft website that tell you how to do it! simply removing the folder wont do it!

as for the problem itself. i really dont think its a problem with the drive and windows, though it might be i spose, have you checked on the drive manufacturers website to see if the know of any issues in that manner?

it could of course be a dodgy cable. if its affecting the BIOS thats most likely to be the case. windows sp2 wont have any effect on the drive at the BIOS level. either its there or its not. check the IDE and power cables! if they look fine, maybe switch the power cable to another connector. it could be that that cable is playing up (just be sure to label it if it is, otherwise you'll forget and have the same problem with another device later!)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present