Service Desk Role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kopite_21, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Good Afternoon guys,

I have an interview tomorrow for a Service Desk position and on top of that I will be doing my A+ 901 exam on the Friday so my head is mashed at the minute trying to prepare for my interview also studying for my 901. Has anyone got any ideas of questions that I may be asked at the interview so I get get a heads up and hopefully be prepared for whats in stall. Also I always struggle to ask questions at the end of interviews. Any ideas?

Please see below a brief Job Description:-

Job Role:

The ICT Service Desk Technician role is responsible for providing maintenance of the (Company Name) Desktop and Server environment by analysing requirements, resolving problems, installing hardware and software solutions, and supporting the internal ICT Service Desk.

This role entails the administration and internal support of the computing environment including PC’s, printers, software services, servers, and related equipment. Tasks include timely incident / problem resolution, performance monitoring, capacity and system availability management, project based implementations and detailed technical moves / adds / changes.

The (Company Name) ICT team takes professional pride in and instills a culture of Service Excellence. This includes identifying improvement opportunities and initiating appropriate actions to improve Service Levels, while ensuring Customer Service Level Agreements (SLA) are maintained.

DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:

People

· Provide ICT Service Desk support and resolve problems to the end user’s satisfaction
    · Monitor service desk queues and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the ICT Service Desk
    · Document internal procedures
    · Ensure the efficient utilization of ICT resources across the organisation.
    · Foster a culture of customer focused ICT service

Personal Attributes

· Exceptional customer service skills with a focus on delivering our customers’ requirements.
    · Excellent written and oral communication skills.
    · Excellent interpersonal skills.
    · Ability to conduct research into ICT issues and products as required.
    · Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
    · Highly self-motivated and directed.
    · Keen attention to detail.
    · Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
    · Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
    · Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
    Juelz likes this.
  2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi mate,

First off, congratulations on the interview. Fingers crossed for you.

My first Service Desk role was back in 2011.
    I was shown into a room which had a PC on the desk and it wouldn't start up. They gave me an hour to see what was wrong. It was basically stuff like Hard Drive Sata Cable not plugged in, Memory loose in the machine, Drivers not installed correctly so having to boot into Safe Mode.

I then had another Hour interview with the IT Manager and he asked me things like what does Ping do, what is TraceRoute, Why would I use Safe Mode, How do you deal with difficult customers, What are the 7 OSI Layers.

It was all a bit random to be honest, but at the end, he said he just wanted to see what I knew.

As long as you show you are keen and willing to learn, that goes a REALLY long way in my opinion.

End of Interview Questions:

Where do you see the company in 3/5 Years,
    What do you see to be the biggest challenges for the company in the coming years?
    Do you encourage Promotion from within?
    Do you encourage progression via Self Study or Training Courses?
    What can Company X offer me that no other company can?

3. Kopite_21

Cheers guys thanks for your advice. Just got back from my interview went really well i think they going to let me know later on this afternoon if i got the job or not.

Back to CBT Nuggets & Books for my A+ exam tomorrow. :thumbleft

4. Kopite_21

Just got a phone call from the Company. I got the job :cheers

Jaron78 and rocdamike like this.
  5. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Well done. Congrats!

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
    Kopite_21 likes this.
  6. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Nice one mate. Great news. Well done.

Kopite_21 likes this.
  7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Congrats Blud

8. Kopite_21

Cheers guys,

Gutted a bit now just got back from taking the CompTia A+ and scored 629 after needing 675 to pass

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Don't let that get you down mate! you will smash it next time, congrats on the job!

Kopite_21 and rocdamike like this.