Server uptime

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I agree with Harry, I rather when the last reboot was than how long the uptime is, you could calculate but why calculate when it tells you the date... ..as least then you could work out any patterns whythe bleeding server is rebooting so often, which is never good.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I realised before I downloaded it that it pulled it's data from the event logs - no probs there. Would be interesting if you could incorporate both net statistic and uptime.exe into a little script that then gave you both lots of information.

...then we could wave our willies till our hearts (or willies) were content.

:tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lol @ jak

:biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

theres an issue with netstat. it has to be run from the machine, meaning you would have to remotely access the server, or be physically in front of it. Does jak's handy little tool check remote servers?

EDIT: our survey says yes!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That was the whole point of the exercise, Ferg - you think I didn't check first ? :wink:

:D

EDIT: Our survey says I would be using remote access anyway - I see your point now. The util is loaded on the server then I check it when connected from my desktop.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

indeed, but with uptime you can run it from your own machine and query anything on the network, just by entering the machine IP/DNS name. net stat you would have to be connected to. overall id say uptime is better.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Actually, I'd forgotten it did that. Even better.

<swings willy nonchalantly>
    :tongue