Server Hardware advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cisco lab rat, Mar 25, 2011.

1. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Really! Is that so, I will bear that in mind!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Just got the memory delivered today, Inserted 4 x 4Gb memory sticks in the ML110 G6 G6950 and it works, VM sees the total of 16Gb and 750Gb hard drive space, sweet all upgraded from the base of 1Gb of Memory and 250Gb harddrive

I might have resurrect an old on-line project idea I have had on the shelf for many years seeing that these servers are cheaps, cheaps !!!

Facebook watchout !!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Just seen this thread (not on here that often nowadays). I run my VSphere infrastructure at home on ML110s - four of them plus a fifth for Openfiler. They're cracking little boxes - and I only paid about 100 quid each for them when i bought them a couple of years back.

I agree with an earlier post (Shini I think it might have been?) which said you'll encounter disk problems way before you encounter RAM issues (provided you max them with RAM and don't allocate stupid amounts to each VM). Personally, I would have spent a little extra and chucked a decent RAID controller with 256/512mb of BBWC in one of them and run Openfiler on it. I think you can get eight disks in the ML110 if you get the optional drive cage - that should have given you enough IOPs to power all your VMs without issue. Virtualised storage is one of the best things about virtualisation IMHO. Openfiler is also an absolute breeze to set up.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em