Server+ - Anyone taken this? Useful?

Discussion in 'Server+' started by mattwest, Apr 26, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You know, you don't *have* to get a certification if you have the knowledge and can demonstrate it. Really, all a cert does is establish that an independent organization has determined you have the basic skills to manage a particular content area...in this case, Servers. If you're in a job managing a server system, you know your stuff and the boss is happy with you, who cares if you have the cert to back it up? It beats those folks out there who have certs and *don't* know what they're doing. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I agree with you trip unfortunatly employers don't. Most jobs in the IT sector that I'm in require an MCSE to even get a chance of an interview...:(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yes but having an MCSE means you wont have to have A+, Network+ or Server+

an MCSE does tend to be a foot in the door cert these days, which has highly undervalued it, most MCSE's cannot do what an MCSE is supposed to be able to do :(

A+, Net+ and Svr+ are useless with an MCSE, trust me i know :)
    dont even list the buggers on my CV anymore to keep the page count down lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

I was thinking of doing this to complement my A+ and Network+ certs when I get 'em.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

wait till the revision comes out (or has it come out? anyone?) its supposed to add more emphasis on server tech as it advances away from desktop tech, 64 bit processors, infiniband interconnects, SAS (serial attached scsi) as well as fiber channel and other such technologies

the A+ and Server+ were primarily quite similar due to the technology being primarily similar, it seems to be diversifying alot more now than it used to

just my 2c

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I quite fancy doing this but am waiting on the 2004 objectives version in Jan 05.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  7. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

I also plan on doing this, but it won't be until the middle or back end of next year after I've got my Network+.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+