sending HDD back to manfact under warrenty

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rockstar6181, Feb 18, 2010.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Would you send a faulty HDD back to the manfact under its warrenty?

I am not in this situation at the moment but its something that crossed my mind while looking for a new extenal HDD (most seem to have 2-3 warrentys) and I think I might be a bit reluctent to send it back if it where to go faulty due to the senstive nature of the data on the disk - I know if its faulty its faulty but I suspect they would repair it (if it would something other than the platters that where damaged/wrong) - whats peoples views on this?

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have done, twice (WD Raptor 150gb).

If it's expensive and costly to replace I would. It would also depend on how old it is and how much of a warranty it get's.

Saying that I have an abundance of drives at home just sitting around, the raptors are expensive tho and I didn't want to just throw it away.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

If there's a company data on the disk I am not allowed to send it back. Dell lets us keep our hard drives with no problem.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure