self training and certification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Gordan, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Gordan

Gordan New Member

Hi everybody,
    I have just joined this forum and went through many posts this morning.
    The reason I joined this forum is that I am interested to do web design course
    maybe specialize in security and e-commerce. I was browsing around and eventually skillstrain rep arrived at my address yesterday. All that prompted me this morning to do some research on them and I found this site.
    I am divided between self training and paying training company
    and now after reading through your posts I am even more confused.
    I would really like to hear from the guys on this forum that started similar course a year ago (like JohnnyMX or Tech), their experience with skillstrain (or any other company) and if they are able to complete the course and find the job.
    Also could somebody advise what is the best way to do self training and then sit an exam somewhere and get recognisable
    certification.
    Guys thanks for your help and I hope I will often participate in this forum.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Gordan,

You may find this link useful.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. liza

liza Banned

ooh welcome dear on this forum.i used to prepare my certification exams from ****************

EDIT SG: Remove Braindump Links

4. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Ahhh I see the above is still spreading the work of the Devil so to speak... :blink

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  5. superal

superal Bit Poster

Speaking of certification and self study... which do people recommend for newbies!?

Obviously there are pros & cons too each, and it depends on the individual etc.etc. ....but all you experienced folk out there with jobs and certs in hind-sight which you now possess, which do you recommend!?

Alternatively, what are the major plus' and minus' of each? i.e. I would guess that self study would take longer and might not be as affective as Instructor led courses since they can (or should be able to) explain things as they would work in practice and with authority.... or is it not as cut and dry as this!?

Or - is there a case for saying it is smart to do an A+ or MCDST (more fundamental) course on your own and once you master the basics then get taught the more complex!?

Cheers
    al

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

superal *anything* is possible to learn by yourself... i done 2 MCP's -270 and 290 and im going to be doing alot more! some people need to go to classroom based learning to actually learn the material. everyone is different...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Superal, let me ask you a question:

You sign up to a training provider, complete your course and come out qualified in the technology you have been trained in and manage to find yourself a job. What hapens whet a new technology comes out that replaces what you have been trained on with your provider? :blink

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Gordan.

It's a tough one, and the forum will always be divided on the issue. If you can self study, then go for it, but you have to be a certain kind of individual who is disciplined and used to hunting for information.
    A training provider will cost you more, but you have the reassurance of someone there to call on when you are stuck, and to give you some guidance.

I've tried both.

CIW in my opinion is a good course for people with an interest in all things web. It isn't as tough as CompTIA or Microsoft certs, but it is informative and useful.

The most important thing is that you have to be realistic about your own abilities. I don't want to be too blunt, but don't think you can sign up for a high level course and then get a £100,000 per year job. The world isn't like that.

But CIW is a good starting point, and I would never talk someone out of going for it.

Important lesson?

Know yourself.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I took myself out of the 'real world' for three years and did a degree (not in IT) because otherwise... well I don't know.

I now find myself living, learning and, in many ways, loving what I am and what I'm aiming for.

Yeah, Jonny, I hear you.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I can only *echo* what has been already said. Think about what you want, like and would like to achieve. Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. superal

superal Bit Poster

All very interesting points.

Simon, I think I see your point, the answer being I could take the knowledge and experience I gained at the school and apply it to my new situation and train myself (like I do currently) or, because the schooling experience worked the first time round I could go back to there and get trained.

The definitive answer to your question would therefore be that it depends on the individual and your personal circumstances.
    Fair point. But I expected that answer.

Let me put it another way;- Those of you that went to a training provider and passed and got a job and had to get retrained or wanted to get a new cert,- would you be comfortable training yourself, or would you miss the expertise of an instructor??

JonnyMX;- again perfectly valid points. You say you tried both, with the hind sight you now have, would you say that after you took the training course you could have done it by yourself and been as succesful and confident?

Sorry for being so long winded, I am considering a career change and my last job consisted of a lot of computer maintenance and really enjoyed the IT side of things but I am obviously new to the specifics, hence these questions.

Basically: I feel I could teach myself this stuff but is there anything I would be missing out on by not getting taught by a training provider?

Cheers.

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When I did my first cert I used a training provider. With hindsight, I would do the same again. Knowing where to start, what to do, how to prepare etc can be overwhelming (I didn't know about CF back then).
    But when you know the game, it is much easier to sort things out for yourself.

What is wrong though, is to sign up with a training provider and sit back expecting everything to happen by magic.
    Either way, you have to do the work!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD