Self Teach ..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MarkUK73, Oct 18, 2005.

1. MarkUK73

MarkUK73 New Member

Hi all again ..
    I have decided to self teach along the CompTIA A+ to start with just purchased Michael Meyers A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide (All-in-one Certification S.) to start with from Amazon :p .

I would like to know what sort of equipment i would need for self teach for this Cert i.e PC , Laptop general hardware etc just so i can get it all there before i start .

Cheers
    Mark

WIP: A+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

good choice on the book! if you can get a old pc to take apart and put back together ummm if you can a SCSI controller... umm if i remember correct you got quite a few years exp right?
    you might find some of the practical stuff general knowledge if im correct.. :biggrin

btw you might also want to look at www.comptia.org d/l the latest objectives and good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. MarkUK73

MarkUK73 New Member

I have a few years experiance , but starting from scratch on these certs is what i want to do , gaining an old PC shouldn't be a problem .

Is it also worth Network+ Server+ and Security+ under my belt to ?

Going to sit down and work out a learning plan now .

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A good starting place would be to get yourself a second computer that you can tear to bits and don't mind breaking. You could build your own from scratch, or get hold of one second hand for next to nothing.

8)

EDIT: Took to long to post this!!!

5. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Possibly copies of a few different operating systems to help you with different ways of configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting a system.

Also, I am considering the "Exam Cram" book to go along with the Mike Meyers book I am currently using. Jakamoko posted this url a week ago.

http://www.examcram2.com/articles/article.asp?p=102308&seqNum=1

It provides a sample of the chapter on RAM. There are a few differences in the topic coverage compare to MM's book, offering a slightly different angle on the same topics, plus information on things that MM does not mention.

Lastly, you may find MM's Lab Manuals useful.

Given your experience you have a nice head start. You will find quite a few of us going through the A+ at the moment. Good luck with it. :D

Certifications: None :(
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Glad to see you chose the one training organization that's sure to always give you your money's worth. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. MarkUK73

MarkUK73 New Member

This way i can spend as much time as i like on this :) plus its a little cheaper :biggrin