Self Study Certs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just wanted to see what everyone's input is to be honest.

Been in IT about 11 Years and I love what I do, however, I am trying to move out of Support and more into Networking or Sys Admin. In January I set a plan of at least 3 new Qualifications in the year:
    • Feb = Full CCNA,
    • May = Juniper JNCIA,
    • September = Microsoft Azure (and Hopefully my AWS CCP),
    • November = Id like to have my Linux+.
    My worry is that I am getting the certs...but dont have the hands on experience. I want to move into networking, so I am going to start the Cisco CCNP after Christmas but should I be looking to put the certs on hold and find a job that lets me get some networking experince?

Or, do the certs show that I want to learn and gain more knowledge which would make me more attractive to an employer?

Be good to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Get both the certs cannot hurt and you do not have to list them on your CV, if you think they will. You can get them gain some experience then add them back if you want.

I imagine you will be going for entry level network roles so it will be unlikely any candidate will have experience so certs can make you stand out from the rest of the people going for it. Also, during the interview you can sell it as I got the certs as I wanted to learn so when I get the chance to get real world experience I will not be starting from a scratch and will be able to pick it up quicker.

Certifications: A few.
    Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Cheers @Rob1234 That really helps. Just didnt want to be a "Paper CCNA" for example :)
    Appreciate the response.

4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would not worry about the "paper cert" most people who say that do not have any certs and so have several insecurities around people that do, I never hear people say "paper degree" all forms of learning tend to result in a piece of paper if it has an exam element.

As I say its more how you sell it, if you walk in to an interview and all you can show is the cert then yeah may not look great but add the cert to the whole package your IT experience, willing to learn, network knowledge etc. and to me it cannot be a bad thing. Not sure how anyone having knowledge on a subject they want to work in can be bad.

Certifications: A few.
    Jaron78 likes this.
  5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I can't speak to the value of any particular certification, but with the vendor spread you already have there courtesy of two clouds, two router shops and an OS... seems to me wireshark wouldn't be a bad option. It goes with everyting, guarantees much better protocol knowledge than the average CCNA has, and everyone in any network related field respects both the shark, and any man who tames it.

https://www.wcnacertification.com/exam-information-1

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    Jaron78 likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Honestly Jaron, at this point I think you are overqualified for support, I think you do have enough certs and tbh experience has more value than certs as the real point of certification (or at least the ones worth having) is to prove you have knowledge gained from experience in a particular area.

I think trying to get out of support will be tricky for the next couple of years which is scary really as I've done it for 4 years and I am burnt out.

I recon you should mass shoot out CVs for networking/sys admin roles just keep firing them out, you're bound to get someone bite.

Jaron78 likes this.
  7. Jaron78

Nice one fella's. Appreciate the comments and input.

Totally agree with all your comments there @Rob1234
    That's great, thank you @FlashDangerpants I will look into that today!
    Nice one @Juelz 100% agree that its a bit of a sh!te time. Going to get it together and start seeing whats out there.

On the Plus side, any exams I want to do, my line manager has said they will pay for (within reason, has to be IT related).