Self Employment - Mobile PC Technician - opinions sought

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ianhopwood, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ianhopwood

ianhopwood New Member

Hi all

im currently studying for the A+ certifications, and have considered setting up offering mobile pc repairs upgrading OS reinstallation etc on site at customers homes.

Just thought id seek opinions on the likely viability of such a venture from the more experienced members - not not seeking to be a millionaire, just make a reasonable living

cheers

ian

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its viable but you probably wont make that much money unless you can corner the market in your area.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Check your competition. Chances are there's already at least one outfit in your area that offers such a service. Also, it's tough to survive if that's the only service you offer. Now that PCs are relatively inexpensive, more people elect to buy a new PC every so often rather than maintain the one they have. I remember reading about a business in my local community that expanded from PC repair to other non-IT goods and services just to survive.

You might be better off going to work for someone who current does that kind of work where you live. Get the experience without the headache of running a business.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

There really are hundreds of companies doing the same thing right now.

Problem is, the majority of people know someone, like me for instance, that will help them out when they have a problem, with no charge etc.. I think you'll have a real hard time getting anywhere with it to be honest.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

PC Homehelp seem quite popular. I did sign up for them as a tech a while back and did a few jobs but haven't bothered recently. You may find yourself in competition with them as there are quite a few people signed up to it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice given, above. Certainly things to consider!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I do run my own business, and the above quote says it all. New business and even exisiting clients will always turn to their friends and family before picking up the phone to call you. What this means is that you will be faced time and time again with trying to put right, what a plethora of unskilled wannabes (present company excepted nXPLOSi) have messed up. It makes every job that you actually do get, a pain in the rear.

I would not recommend it unless you are in a very financially sound situation already.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. ianhopwood

ianhopwood New Member

Hi

hmmm - some very good points - yes i think it is very valid, people do always tend to ring up friends family etc.

as for being financially sound - i can always do with another million - and then i woke up !!!!!!!

thanks for all the replies so far.

cheers

ian

9. Crito

Crito Banned

In the U.S. http://www.onforce.com is a fairly popular venue for independent techs. CompUSA was one of their biggest customers though, so things have dried up a bit lately. Between long-term gigs I sometimes run calls through them.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none