Seduced by the Dark Side...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Good advice dmarsh.

Noel,

Here's a link to what I'm slowing working towards as my next build. The only thing on it right now that I haven't spec'ed out is a graphics card.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Awesome set up there freddy :)

Most my apps are memory bound these days.. might be worth me picking up a professional workstation board, ideally one with more than 4 dimm slots as a 4 dimm slot board supporting 16GB ram is EXPENSIVE ram.. an 8 slot means I can get away with 4GB kits skill ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

So your basically agreeing with me then:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. ffreeloader

Yeah, it will be. The last build I did that I talked about here has been pretty awesome itself. I can build a 2 gig mysql database from a sql file in 15 minutes. It will back it up in less than 2 minutes.

The dual core Opterons are amazing. I can use the cpuburn utility to load the cpu to where top reports 100% cpu usage and 50% cpu resource usage--it's a single cpu program so it only loads one core--and it doesn't even seem to slow it down in the least.

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Looks like a nice build, but the samsung F1 drives are faster than the raptor x drives and they have more capacity, might be worth taking a look at them.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just curious as well as want to keep abreast with new computer build processors and hardware. So the questions is would anyone recommend a particular magazine or web site for this? :)

Thanks in advance and must say the tom hardware web site is bang on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

overclockers.com but I prefer Novatech because of the prices :) for reviews though Toms Hardware is good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Raffaz...no I am not jealous but I know you will be when I have that beast built :biggrin
    Also with regards to DDR3, I will not be touching it for a long time and it seems you know me too well...as u say I will be building a new machine in about 6mths after the gaming machine which in fact is true cos I will be building a new main machine hopefully middle of next year...hmm can I handle having 5 computers in one flat? :eek who wants to buy a PC? :biggrin

Freddy...that is one seriously hot looking set up u got going there but I have to agree with Raffaz, go for the F1 models from Samsung, especially the sexy looking 1TB beast :biggrin that will certainly send u to new heights my friend lol.

But that helps guys cheers.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. ffreeloader

Not sure if those Samsung hard drives are compatible with the 3ware RAID card I'll I be using. I built a system not too long back that used the 4 port 3Ware card with 4 Raptors and it's fast. Write speeds go over 1 gB/s for most file sizes and reclens and no lower than 750 testing it with iozone. Read speeds are all over 1 gB/s with the highs in 4 gB/s range That's with 4 drives in a RAID 10 array. With 8 drives in a RAID 10 array the new machine will be even faster.

I guess you'll have to show me a 7200 rpm drive that will beat a 10,000 rpm drive for performance. I just don't think it's possible. Besides I can almost buy two of the 150 gig Raptors for what they want for those big Samsungs. In a raid 10 array with those drives I'll have approximately 600 gigs of hard drive space and that's enough for me for the foreseeable future. I don't pirate music or movies, and that's what really eats up drive space.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Now now Freddy there are plenty of places you can BUY content that sits on a HDD not a piece of plastic!

11. ffreeloader

I suppose so. I guess I just don't use it enough to consider buying it. I know if they would completely get rid of drm I'd consider it at least though.

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Yup DRM is my pet peeve, why I dont buy anything from itunes :)

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I bought my first MP3 from Amazon the other day - Karen wanted a song that we didn't have on CD. Very pleased with the purchase... quick and painless, a good sampling rate, and... no DRM. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!