Secure web pages

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Feb 15, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

My friend is having trouble looking at secure web pages. This can be any secure pages , bank card transaction pages etc. Now ive tried all i can think of and even done the restore default settings in internet options, this still had no effect. I did a spyware program and removed 23 spyware programs, this still didnt solve the problem , so i did virus scan etc , this told me i had a worm , so i got rid of that and restarted the compter.

Now the same thing is happenining , i still cant view web pages that are secure. Now ive also found out that this computer is brand new (6 months old) , but i feel as if there are a lot of files missing. Normally when you look at a program file they are bold, but a lot of what i see on myfriends computer, are dimmer , not as bold etc .

Ive tried a system restore and that has done nothing as well , the onlt thing i can think of is a full reformat, but is that being to drastic for something that is meant to be simple, or dop you think files have been deleted, or that the worm has destoyed certain files .

I need your help again guys , this ones nearly getting me right up the wall :cry:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does this person run windows firewall?

I'm not sure, but I think there is an option in its settings as to what type of traffic you want to allow out. Try ticking or untivking the box.

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It sounds to me like port 443 is being filtered somewhere, it could be a firewall issue or maybe a proxy setting or one of the advanced settings in IE that relates to SSL types?

Normal non-secure browsing uses port 80 by default and this is working okay. So focus your attention on the Internet configuration rather than the file system. I doubt there is anything wrong with the system files and a re-format would be very drastic :eek:

You could also try Firefox or Opera browsers and see if they work okay. They don't use the same browsing engine as IE, so that might help hone down the problem.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Firstly, what browser are you using ? Include version number as well (generally found under Help > About)

Secondly, can you clarify this statement please ?
    The more info we have to go on, the better. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. zxspectrum

Hi Folks and thanks for the quick replies. Right firstly i have installed Firefox, but this has the added problem of saying " this document contains no data".

To Jak, what im trying to explain is say your files are normally all jet black (just to give you a pic ) then some are grey when they shouldnt be , this is what the person has on their comp. Last time i came across that, was when i ahd win 98 se , and got rid of programs willy nilly, id get a "dimmer" file rather than a usual bold one - and i got told its because that certain prgrams havd been deleted and certrain files are even misinf from that folder , etc ?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You might want to run the built in system file checking utility sfc.exe

This will scan all your system files and replace them if they are not correct or missing from either the XP CD (i386 folder) or the DLL Cache folder.

Check the link for a step by step guide...

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You could try...

Go to Start > Run and enter these commands (press <Enter after each one).

Regsvr32 SOFTPUB.DLL
    Regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
    Regsvr32 Initpki.dll
    Regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
    Regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
    Regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
    Regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
    Regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
    Regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
    Regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll

Basically spyware can cause some problems with .dlls

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zxspectrum

cheers bluerinse and sparky, ill be on with that little job tomorrow . Sparky, by typing in them commands what am i doing, all i know is DLL is short for dynamic link library. Just a bit more infor please so i dont look stupid when i get asked the question. cheers again

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

DLL's are files Windows needs to work....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Basically what you are doing is ‘reinstalling’ the .dlls by reregistering them. You should get a ‘success’ windows message after each line you put in the run box.

As Boyce says Windows uses .dlls and also some applications that have been installed on your PC will add their own .dlls to run. For example some fancy graphical interfaces can have their own .dlls. Some applications share the same .dll which can be a pain when you’re a software developer as when you write an install script you have to make a decision to overwrite the existing .dll or leave it depending on the version. It’s commonly called dll hell! :twisted:

Any joy with the IE problem? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. zxspectrum

Well im going round again tomorrow so fingers crossed ill have it sussed. Thanks again all , beers are on me

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

13. zxspectrum

sorry again people another question ahs popped into my head ? If this woamn can get a recovery disk from pc world where she bought the pc from , would that solve all my troubles ????

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The recovery disk would return the PC to the same state that it was when she bought it. Depending on the recovery software, you may be able to do a complete re-format and re-install or you may be able to just re-install without the re-format. Either way, it is too drastic a measure because any other applications which have been installed since the PC was bought, will need to be re-installed, as well as any printer drivers, Internet connections etc. It's like starting from scratch. In other words, it is a last resort!

Do everything listed in the link below first...

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/17.html

15. zxspectrum

Ok , will do cheers for that

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Spec,

Not only is a re-install the last resort but as technicians (i love that word :biggrin ) we learn everyday by the type of problem you are faced with at the moment. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. zxspectrum

I know what you mean lol. Tho im enjoying the experience here, im the sort of person who wants things done yesterday. I dont think ill enroll in uni/ college now think ill just fix peoples computers and when i get stuck come on here for advice lol

18. zxspectrum

Well after all that messing about i still didnt get to sort it out, which even though im dissapointed isnt the thing thats peeing me off. Ive leterally just been sent a text from the person ive been doing the free work for saying , hi just thought id let you know ive taken the pc back to pc world and got the factory settings reset

Now all i can think of is why didnt she do that in the first place instead of leting muggins here try and sort it out ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. But thought id say thanks to all who gave advice and links on here , id still lke to know what was causing it mind for next time etc

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol - client "gratitude" can be quite hard to stomach at times, zx. But as you improve, you will definitely find you start to earn a few £££ which make the efforts worthwhile (and you're learning at the same time). :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. zxspectrum

I know jak , but the effort i put in and all the help i got from here were for nothing ish . Glad im hungover as i dont really give a toss that much at the mo lol