Secure Digital (SD) memory cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

Just bought a new digital camera that uses SD cards for storage. Typically, it doesn't come with a card, only the meagre built-in memory. So whilst looking around some sites for cards, I noticed that my e-shop of choice has some great deals, but that the SD cards they list seem to be by camera manufacturer.

My question - is an SD card an SD card is an SD card ? ie If it says SD, does it work in any camera, regardless of manufacturer ?

Any advice/opinions appreciated as always :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

should do mate
    if it doesnt you either want to send the SD card for failing to meet SD card specifications
    or send the camera back for failing to meet SD specifications

my camera takes XD cards, and although it takes any XD card, printers and devices that claim to 'print direct from card' fail to regognise my xD card due to the filesystem on it i guess, thats not something to complain about though

if it says SD it must meet SD requirements
    so yes an SD is an SD is an SD

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks Ryan - lovely clarification there, m8 :D

The camera arrived today, and doesn't metnion anything about a particular type. Not too expensive a risk to take anyway, about £20+ for 128Mb card

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity