Scripting with server 2003

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ally, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

I wondering if anyone could give me a couple of quick pointers here?? So far i am relatively inexperienced is the use of scripts with windows 2003, apart from using csvde and ldifde to import users and OU structure etc. I have gone to the windows script repository to obtain sample scripts to try out and get familiar with.
    However i dont have the first idea on how to implement these. For example in the link below details a script to obtain the local time on a computer.
    Could anyone have a quick look if possible and give me a quick tip in how to implement it?? The link is:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/os/dates/osdtvb01.mspx

:D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can't test it out Ally because that local time script doesn't work on the OS I am using at the moment (W2K). However, what you need to do is copy and paste that script into a text editor like Notepad and save it as timescript.vbs

Then you can run it by double clicking etc. You could also use scripts in batch files or logon/logoff etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Can't help other than it works perfectly on my XP machine :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Seems to work for me following Bluerinse's comments. First time I've run such a thing!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Thankyou, i had no idea that it was a vb script :oops: As i sai8d im inexperienced with scripting but gonna learn it. Now that i know its vb il paste it into notepad and use a GPO to deploy it.

6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Ally, what are you expecting this script to do? This script echoes to the console the time and date one piece at a time. When it is run you will get a popup with the year and an ok button, then month and so on. It strikes me as a script that would be better manually run rather than deployed via gpo.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Phil, the actual script was irrelevant, i jus had no idea if it was vb script or something else. Basically was just wanting to know this and to attempt to deploy some scripts thru GPO. It is simple but as i said i wasnt really sure. Thanks for the reply :D