SCO files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by hbroomhall, Sep 14, 2007.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Just seen this on various news pages.

Yet another twist to the long-running saga!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

seen what? what dammit! tellllllll meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Whilst I don't think its ever a good thing for a tech company to go to the wall (and I'm not suggesting that chapter 11 is the end of the line for SCO), in hindsight it was utterly ridiculous of them to claim that they owned the rights to Linux - or at least enough of the IP in the kernel to charge royalties to anyone using it. I know their argument was more complex than that, but in essence that's what it boiled down to.

It has to be one of the most suicidal business decisions since someone at Enron said "Hey - don't worry about filing that tax return..."

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Um.... You do know who many, many people say financed this decision by SCO don't you?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Um...

No Freddie - please tell me.

I've been living under a rock for the last two years and hadn't heard...

It's all more paranoia bullshit from the anti-M$ media. Yes their business practices are predatory. Just like Apple's, Novell's and Google's. Yes paying the license fees in the way they did certainly helped SCO to launch the suit. However, this is far from unheard of in the corporate world - it might be unusual in the tech world, but its certainly not unusual in many other industries.

You know what? I'm not going to bother replying to any more M$/*nix posts - they bore me and don't serve any purpose

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em