School reunions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Apr 1, 2009.

?

School reunions - yay or nay?

1. Good idea?

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Bad idea?

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Couldn;t give a monkeys?

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

How on earth would any one be able to find you to actually invite you to a reunion

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As has already been suggested - facebook, or in fact any of the big social networking sites. Most users apply to groups such as their school name/year etc.

Else, I'd assume they just go to their year books from school and search via name.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Easier and easier every single day... ever auto-Google yourself? Plus, sites like classmates.com, reunion.com, and any of the major social networking sites help to track people down.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Qs

But but but... I just said that! :p lol

Just for fun I've just googled myself and can't find a damn thing - Guess I'm safe eh? :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Qs

Good advice :p

6. BosonMichael

You hadn't said it at the time I grabbed the thread. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have no face book myspace or anything like that and i dont think people would start investigating for hours trying to find me by Googleing my name, so even if they is one they wont find me on the Internets.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. rusko

rusko New Member

If the people from school really were your friends, then you should still be friends now by keeping in contact.

Otherwise, not much of a good reunion if it's with people you weren't very close with or even hated.

WIP: A+
  9. BosonMichael

Doesn't take hours, mate... takes 10 seconds. :)

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I would say no also, for a few reasons:

1) to agree with rusko - if you wanted to keep in touch with them, they would have tried harder as would have you.
    2) past is the past - if either you or them wanted to keep in touch, you would have already.
    3) I think most people go with higher expectations of these evenings and often leave early/give up as these expectations are never reached.
    4) unless you could re-kindle a lost friendship over a pint quickly, after the formalities what would you have to talk about???

I vote no, and would struggle to yes if my school, or even university (like Ken) had one - that said, I met my girlfriend at my uni, so perhaps she'll have more influence over it! :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't go. If I cared about their existences, I would still be chatting to them today, but I don't so the past is nothing but.

It is funny seeing how people turn out though, the people who were all mouth working in a dead end job, the people who never said a word and kept them selves to them selves doing well.

Hell, college friends were just that, friends when I was actually in college, pub friends are friends when I'm in the pub, same for work mates.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3