Scheidegger

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gungladin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Hmmm that's odd as when I phoned them and asked where these details about the reimbursement process can be found, she pointed me towards a one page addendum leaflet that accompanies the course plan booklet. She told me that paragraph 7 contrains the details. Strangely though my leaflet had no paragraph 7 but she said it must be an outdated print and is sending me the new details via post.

As soon as it arrives I'll post here to confirm that Skillstrain do indeed have this exam reimbursement promise in writing :)

WIP: A+, N+
  2. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Today I got the updated single page leaflet from Skillstrain that is supposed to contain written information on this issue of reimbursement.

As I explained in my previous post, the original leaflet I got in my course pack had only six paragraphs explaining about the course and it's structure.

This new document from Skillstrain has one extra paragraph (paragraph 7). Below is an exact quote of this new paragraph.

7. PUBLIC EXAMINATIONS
    Public examinations fees are included in the cost of the course - the correct procedure for entrance to the exams and the payments process will be provided to the student at the relevant stage of the course.

Now this doesn't explicitly say 'public examinations' refers to (in the case of this leaflet about the Netpro course I'm taking) the CompTIA exams, nor does it specifically mention reimbrusement. So there's still some potentail for confusion.

As for the 'correct procedure for entrance to the exams and the payments process will be provided to the student at the relevant stage of the course' goes, from my conversation with the Skillstrain rep on the phone the following would happen in my case:

At the end of the course when I'm deemed to be at a level to tackle the CompTIA exams I would get in touch with a regional testing centre to arrange to sit the exams. Skillstrain tell me that Thompson Prometric, whose site is at www.prometric.com, is the testing centre for my course.

Prometric is a seperate company from Skillstrain and the procedure for arranging to sit Prometric's CompTIA exam apparently does not allow you to bill someone else for your tests so you have to pay for the exams yourself and Skillstrain says it reimburses you.

I would guess this is part of some security procedures in place at testing centres to prevent one person sitting the exam but the bill for the exam going to another person. A post in these very forums revealed a dubious website offering services whereby you can pay someone to sit your exams.

So there you have it. Apparently written information from Skillstrain that the real examinations you have to sit to get that all-important, industry-recognised exam is covered in the fees you paid for the course.

Sadly the new documents still sneakily implies that the Skillstrain Guarantee of taking the exam for free again if you do not pass does not include the public exams (in my case the CompTIA A+ N+). So if you are looking to go on a Skillstrain course and are expecting the 'course advisor' to turn up for question time soon, bring this issue of the guarantee up. In reality it simply doesn't appear to be worth the paper its written on.

Anyone have any comments?

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Does seem a little misleading...

It's incorrect on a couple of minor points. You can use both Pearson Vue or Prometric for testing. I've used both and Prometric always muck me about something wicked.

Anyone can pay for your exams. My boss pays for mine with the company credit card. Security is maintained by the requirement for you to take two forms of ID with you, one of which has to be photo ID.

You can also by vouchers for the exams, so they could buy a job lot and just give you one of them (you get discounts the more you buy, so they could save some money in the long run).

I'm not being provocative (OK, I am) but it seems like the whole thing is designed to make it as difficult as possible to sit a 'public examination' and the reason it seems to be so difficult to get a straight answer is because nobody knows because it's never happened...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I have been given the same info from Scheidegger, that certification exam fees are included in the course but I pay for them then send the reciept to Scheidegger to get reimbursed. We'll find out if this is the case pretty soon as I'm booking my A+ exams next week.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Well it seems one person is close to testing the ease with which this reimbursement will occur :)

So first of all, good luck with the exam and be sure to check back and tell us how it went.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Could you PM me a link to that post Darren, it sounds to me like something that doesn't belong on *this* forum.

Cheers!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. aleksmann

aleksmann Bit Poster

Tried to get in touch with you on the email you've wrote but it bounced back
    I'm having similar problem with Scheidegger, they threatening me with legal action, despite salesman told me that I can cancel anytime and I'll lose only the money I've paid by the cancellation date. Now they passed all my unpaid balance to debt collectors. I'm not receiving any books or materials since July 2005 but they want my money. I've paid £800 so far for 4 books (folders with cheap 80gm2 paper) which I doubt cost £800 to produce. On some occasions they forgot to enclose floppy disks for submitting TMAs so I had to use my own.

Anyone who found the way fighting them back PLEASE COME BACK TO ME at [email protected]

8. aleksmann

aleksmann Bit Poster

Me ME ME ME ME
    MY POST IS ABOVE
    Your email bouncing back

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Anyone posting your email addresses in a public forum are asking for some spammer's spider to scoop it up. Better to use the forum tools and do it backchannel. FYI.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Em

Em Bit Poster

I am also doing a course with Scheidegger, they have been very good to me and I can not find a bad word to say about them through personal experience. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them. I am a little confused tho? I am doing Web Master with them and un-sure of the the certificate I will be getting now as I have read a few people doing the same course but different qualifications??? I thought it was CIW ???? :ohmy

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Em, Just a little word of advice, I've noticed that you posted the above post in at least two threads, whilst I can't help you with the answer please try not to duplicate posts. I'm sure that the right people will read them and be able to answer.

Simon. 8)

12. Em

Em Bit Poster

ok no prob's, i just wasn't sure which one to post it on as there are so many. :D Sorry and noted! thanks

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If in doubt, start a new thread. Then there can be no doubts! :blink

14. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Sorry for delay Bluerinse, lost track of which threads I've posted in and have been busy reading course material.

I'll send a PM to that post now.

15. cybersquirrel

cybersquirrel New Member

I signed up with scheidegger some time ago for the web design course . It was with great regret that i learned this course was five years out of date and aimed at complete beginners , first chapter was called "what is the internet" , surely i wouldent be signing up for a webdesign course if ididnt know what the internet was .
    I then made several attempts to cancel my course although was abruptly told over the telephone "look youve been told more than once you cannot cancel your just going to have to accept it) .
    I have since had two letters from scheideggers solicitor threatning legal action against myself as i pointed that the three employment agencies that scheidegger claim to be in connection with have put inprint to myself that in way are they connected to scheidgger and advised me to seek help from tradeing standards .
    Scheidegger have put in large print that one of these agencies will only interview people with the correct qualifications and skills and that i need to prove my qualifications to this employment agency .
    I scanned and sent that to that employment agency who emailed straight back stateing that the comment is total fictionand that they will interview anybody with or without qualifications .
    I have all these emails and letters which i have kept ,im also told that skills first and scheidegger are in fact the same company , i found this out when last week scheidegger claimed my account back from the finance company and have now lost the account telling me that the acount has been sent somewhere but they dont know where .
    If anybody wants to chat more please email me at [email protected]

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

cybersquirrel, this is your second post and it contains almost the same content as your first post. Please refrain from duplicating posts as it only confuses things.

This would have been a discussion about how the Internet came to be, meaning the history behind it. I doubt you would have been clear on this and it is commonplace for training providers to include this information.

You clearly did not cancel the course within the cooling off time period. Hence you can't cancel.

A word of advice, never sign anything without first reading and understanding *all* the small print. If you sign a contract, it is legally binding and you will not be able to cancel it once it is in effect. It doesn't matter a jot who you sign up with or for what. The law will always support a signed contract.

So what, you will find that is the case in many organisations.

I would strongly urge you to take a deep breath and have a good think about your situation. It will not help you to keep venting on this site about how things have not worked out for you. Be positive and seek advice from a professional body that is geared up to give legal advice.

This forum is not a soap box for disgruntled people to rant, especially when the problem seems to stem from a lack of proper research prior to signing up with them.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. catlady3545

catlady3545 New Member

I had a 'salesman' come out this afternoon. Thought everything sounded to good and decided to look into their background. Your info hear helped me to decide which route I am going to take. It might take years longer but I think I will stick to the good old fashioned college. Thankyou for helping and I hope you have a prosperous future.

18. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

I share your optomistic or is that fatalistic view (what do I know). I left the University of the West of England in July 2004 with (what I thought) a good degree - B.A. (Hons) Information Systems Analysis and succeded in obtaining a desmond 2.2. :biggrin

I opted for more training, took and passed my European Computer Driving Licence :biggrin

Then in June 2005 signed up to Skillstrain with a career development loan of £2,500.00 (paying £70.00) per month for the priviledge.

(I was told in 2000, after giving up work for fulltime higher education, that with a degree I could walk into a job. Er, that's not true). :blink

18 months later, still unemployed. :x

I have been working on the PC Master and Maintenance, parts A-D for 6 months. I just started the NetPro Comptia N+ Certification, Section 2, Part A. The first part of the course seems to be a mirror of the second part of course! :rolleyes:

Since I started looking, the job boards have changed in their descriptions for CCNA vacancies, now they want 'EXPERIENCED' too, so I'm now thinking even if I get the CCNA qualification, that it's still no guarantee of getting a well paid job. :( :cry:

Personally, I trust Skillstrain, so far the tutor team has not let me down.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

As far as 'trusting Skillstrain' goes, if they provide you with materials, and you pass your Cert, their end of the bargain is done.

Try places like CWjobs and Monster, and use keywords like 'entry level' 'beginner' and so on. It's all well and good looking at what you *might* earn one day, but everyone has to start somewhere. EDIT - that's what I do, I wasn't insinuating anything. I always look at CCNP jobs, then kick myself, and start searching for technician jobs again :oops:

Once you've passed the NetPro course (which I hope to be on soon) then start looking for jobs. WH Smiths sell a 'jobs today' paper on a weekly basis, that advertises jobs within a particular region. There'll be something out there, it just takes perseverance.

Alternatively, get a job on the strength of the A+ you've just completed (and I presume passed). It would probably be easier to get in the door at that level, and get to know people, rather than trying to boot your way in at Cisco level.

Good luck! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Hi, thanks for the advice. :D

I get jobs posted from CW jobs, Jobserve / Jobsite, Monster.
    I also check the local papers for anything other than recruitment, sales, medical, HR.

I realise I'm not going to get much better than £20K initially, so I already look for 'junior, entry level' etc.

I'm 47, a mature student, in my 3rd or 4th career, that's why I wanted to get a degree and better prospects and recently opted for the CCNA to increase my marketability.

I am just so frustrated after 18 months of being unemployed.

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA