Scheidegger

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gungladin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. gungladin

gungladin New Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently started a course with Scheidegger, my wife did the Bookkeeping and I did Web Design. :cry:

After realising that the course material in the web designer’s course is extremely out of date for an industry that is constantly moving forward, (which has been confirmed by an IT tutor at my local college). :bigcry

The internationally recognised certificate is not internationally recognised at all, not even nationally. :x

The one on one tutoring system is virtually none existent. :mad

In the initial interview with one of there so called careers advisers, we were told that all exam fees would be covered; this again is not the truth. :cussing

Under the advice of my solicitor all payments to the obviously closely linked “Career Development Finance” have been stopped. :clap

I have contacted Scheidegger and there finance company and told them of my intention to cancel.

I await a response.

If you or someone you know is in the same position and would like to cancel a course with Scheidegger, contact me at [email protected] for advice and details of how to go about it :thumbleft .

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the "heads up". Hope that you will continue to be involved in our little community. Take a moment to pop up to the new member's forum and tell us a bit more about yourself. We'd love to hear about you. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. gungladin

gungladin New Member

Well they received my letter 4 days ago and they were due to take payments 3 days ago.

No reply so far.

I have also just been informed by one of the other complainants that after a phone call to Scheidegger they have confirmed that they do not offer exams or qualifications, just certificates to say you've passed the course, thats not what they told me in the sales pitch, ohh sorry "interview".

I would also like to add that I am in no way affiliated to Certforums and am soley responsible for any threads or replies that I have placed on this forum.

4. burmeze

burmeze New Member

I'm so glad I found your post . I'm in the exact situation as you.. I had serious doubts since finding out the stuff they were teaching were seriously outdated. I don't know what to do now.. I've been paying Career Dev Finance every month and I haven't had a job for over 2 years. I'm dead broke and couldn't pay them for a few months and they sent me letters threatening to take me to court..So I've continued paying them again.. Please help me!! BTW.. I can't afford any solicitors.. Hope u can help.
    Thanks.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Can you elaborate a bit on that?

When you say you are doing web design, I assume that you mean CIW?
    I would guess that you are doing version 4 which is a year or two old now. Version 5 exams have just been beta-tested and will be launched soon. Version 4 exams will retire next June.
    So if you are doing version 4, you're as up to date as you can be (except Foundation, which has been v5 since Feb).

The industry does move pretty quick, and it takes time for exams and course content to be updated. Even Microsoft releases courses after the product is updated.

Is being 'out of date' the only thing that is bothering you?
    So what if you learn to design sites with HTML? Just because XHTML has come along, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The problem with these interviews and salesmen is not the questions you ask, it's how you ask them.

Salesmen are clever b******s. I'll mention now, and regular posters on the forum know, I'm with Scheidegger, and happy about it. I harass my tutors, get quick responses on my assignment. Ok, the prices are over-inflated, and I wasn't in an ideal financial position, but I can afford it and the payments are interest free.

If you ever, ever have an interview with a 'rep' from a training provider, ask them careful questions. If they can't answer these questions correctly or to your satisfaction, you are completely within any and all of your rights to ask him/her to leave your home. What they often say is the truth. It's just answering a different question to what you thought.

1.) Are the certification exam fees covered? You just ask them if 'the' exam fee is covered, they can say yes and be telling the truth; Scheidegger/Skillstrain have internal certification exams that are free of charge.

2.) What accreditation does your internal certificate carry? Can you provide me with the names of companies that recognise this certification?

3.) Research the certification you want to take BEFORE the interview

As Jonny said, sometimes exams aren't revised for a while. If they don't need to update material, they won't; at the end of the day, these guys are a business, and are trying to make profit.

If the course material hasn't been updated since the last revision of the exams, then politely ask the salesman to leave; the course isn't satisfactory. Don't part with your cash.

4.) Never sign on the day. They'll push, they'll prod. If they're having difficulty meeting figures, they'll probably beg. But training providers are invariably always expensive, and a fool and his money are easily parted; sleep on it, and make your decision after lengthy thinking and research. (not implying anyone on here is a fool btw :biggrin )

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. LAD

LAD New Member

This is interesting stuff as I have just been approached to do this course. I'm trying to weigh it up against the stuff that the Open University offers. It's a difficult world we live in, nothing is easy these days ....

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Once again, I urge all participants to this thread to stick to claims based on fact and substantiated evidence when referring to named training providers. No slanderous, libelous or defamatory comments (founded or not) will be tolerated that may potentially place CertForums in a legally unsound postion.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi Gungladin

I'm so sorry that you have had a bad experience with Scheidegger.
    I realize that the Web Design Industry moves on at lightening pace.. this is something that I have found out to my own peril by having to re-study Foundations & Site Designer.
    The Scheidegger Certificate doesn't exist..but I was hoping that the employers that I meet this year, will be informed enough to know about the CIW qualification (which, I believe, is massive in the US)enough to be able to realize the amount of time and effort that I have put into the last 2 years.

I have had one-to-one tutors via the Telephone for the whole length of this course. Ok.. My tutor left after 9 years of service half way through my course, and was replaced with a team of tutors.

The exam fees are included, (i've checked this with Scheidegger at least twice), but it isn't explained throughly enough.
    I expect to pay (the exam company, Person Vue/prometric) for my exams, and then be reimbursed after.. silly way for Scheidegger to do this,I know.

Good Luck with getting your situation sorted out :thumbleft
    as you aren't happy, I'm sure that they will sort you out.

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There is a reason for this that I can see. VUE etc are geared up for people to book their own exams. If you create a profile on their website you can manage your own account and book exams. If your training provider did this for you, they would have to have an account for every student. Nightmare.

That's the only reason I can think of...

11. jedi-knight

jedi-knight Bit Poster

That's exactly what they told me on the phone that they would reimburse me the exam fee's (Comptia A+, N+, Cisco CCNA & CCNP), I am still very doubtfull as to whether this is true.

Certifications: dim o gwbwl
    WIP: A+
  12. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I think that it is the same old story. Tell people what they want to here promise them the moon and the stars and anything else that sounds good at the time. As long as they sign on the dotted line. Then it is f**k you we have your money. Sadly enough this is the way more and more companies are working.
    :bluegrab

Certifications: None
  13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The "training" company I had in the here in the US actually made the exams a part of overall fee and they paid for them. All you did was present yourself for a test and take it. However, they were a VUE testing center also. All I know is that there were vouchers in each student's file and they would have the test taker sign the voucher and run that voucher through their paperwork system whenever you took a test.

I would imagine it wouldn't be all that hard for one of the "training" companies to include the testing fees up front and just have an agreement with the testing facility to purchase so many tests at a time, and then have the people in their program present a voucher at the testing facility. I don't see that as any major headache for either organization. One would get to sell exams in bulk, and the other would probably get to purchase them at bulk rates.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. twobellies

twobellies Bit Poster

I am training with skillstrain who are part of schieddeger. I just what I am doing is all up to date stuff! It seems to be but hey what do I know; I was still plumbing before Xmas. :rolleyes:

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+ N+
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's true, there's no reason they couldn't supply you with vouchers. That would make things easier.

To clarify though, is there anyone here who has actually had a problem with getting their exam fees refunded?
    At the moment it sounds like speculation.

16. Em

Em Bit Poster

Hi peeps!

I am also doing CIW with scheidegger and they have been brilliant to me (i hope!) i have just recieved Java part A, after taking a years break and they have extended my studies untill January 2007.
    Sorry to here everyones problems about them, but maybe they could help more if you explaind your concerns to them????

Good luck and keep smiling :D

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW
  17. jedi-knight

jedi-knight Bit Poster

Please can anyone clear this up, Has anyone got a reimbursement from Scheidegger for their official comtia a+, n+ or the cisco ccna, ccnp exam fee's ?

please...........

18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The best thing to do is get it straight from the horse's mouth. Call them directly. If you don't have their finance department number, PM me and I will provide is, as I don't think posting telephone numbers on a public forum is wise...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Considering how many students they have, and how many there have been on this forum, it does seem amazing that nobody has come up against this scenario one way or another.

Has anyone sat an exam with them? Or do they offer to repay the fees when you complete the whole course?

20. jedi-knight

jedi-knight Bit Poster

I already did phoned them a few months back about it, but I don't believe them 100% as the lady on the phone refused to offer it in writing.

So is there anyone on this forum who has successfully claimed back their comptia or cisco exam fees from scheidegger ?

anyone please ?