scheidegger / skillstrain. HELP ! have i lost my money?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by evangelista, May 5, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Meanwhile back in the real world..... :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Jody

Jody Bit Poster

At tesco you can put things back on the shelf if you havent the money at the check out. I was in the position to sign at the time,but mentioned possible unemployment,yet told all would be covered.
    just looking for documents

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry Jody, and everyone else.

Business makes money out of sales.
    If you are lucky enough to have a job, somewhere along the line your company sells a product or service to someone.

Those sales pay your salary, mortgage and feed your children.

How would you feel if one day your boss called a meeting and told you that you were all going to have a pay cut because he felt sorry for the Japanese because they couldn't afford their payments so he had refunded the $3 billion deal from last week?

That's the world for you.

What on EARTH makes you think that a salesman is responsible for your financial welfare?

You called this guy and said 'I want to get into IT'.

He said, 'Right, it will cost you £3000'.

You said 'Where do I sign?'

If you want financial advice, call a financial advisor.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Sorry Jody, I'm with Johnny on this one, you weren't forced into anything, its their job to sell as thats how they make their living so thats what they do.

You are your own person and capable of making your own mind up, i hope this isn't offensive and correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like you were planning on using the payment protection before you even signed the contract, if thats the case it should never of been signed, these plans are for unforseen circumstances, not known ones. I know myself the worries of money but that is asking for trouble.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. Joy

Joy New Member

I sympathise wirh you Jody! I would like to think I'm in the 'real world' but this man came to my home and I felt bullied into signing (one good point in my favour was that he contacted me in the first instance and I don't know where he got my details from). I was lucky and cancelled the agreement in writing within 2 days but it wasn't easy. The word Sheidegger still makes me shudder! There is much more to the story but people just don't want to know, and in the end you learn never to repeat such an experience.

Joy

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

What's going on here? Joy hasn't posted since she joined last year. She was of the "I've been duped by a training provider" type of poster, we don't don't here from her for nearly a year and then along comes Jody with a very similar problem. Then who comes out of the woodwork, leaping to her defence? Joy!

Does anyone else think this is all a bit suspect?:confused3

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If this is the case, I would suggest that you call the police and tell them that someone came into your house against your will and attempted to rob you.

That'll sort it out.

8. tomhayward

tomhayward New Member

Scheidegger, skillstrain, skills-train, the multi media company, etc - wonder what they will be called next year? NEVER, EVER sign on the night. THINK ABOUT IT. There are lots of sites/ forums etc where you can find out about lots of companies.

9. NickyYates

NickyYates Bit Poster

There is, of course, a source of finance that would give you a repayment holiday for the duration of the course plus, I think, a month after the end - the Career Development Loan (CDL). This can be up to two years in the case of courses like premier Microsoft certifications - did they not inform you of this? I assume that the people who sold you the course also get commission on selling you a loan as well. The CDL is actually part of a much broader initiative to end "financial exclusion" - a whole syndrome of factors including a lack of financial acumen and education, access to independant financial advice as well as credit and banking facilities. The poor pay more for things like electricity and gas, mobile phone calls etc. because they lack access to the banking system. We can go on about the "real world" - and how anyone with half a brain wouldn't fall for these scams - but the fact is that they do. For example, the pensions mis-selling scams of the 80's (which are emerging again today) was an episode in which a really quite savvy group were sold totally inappropriate pensions on the basis of a promise that share prices can only possibly rise in value and that economic booms never end. In fact, one of the recommendations of the FSA inquiry into pensions mis-selling in this period was that outfits selling financial products should not use information about past performance to sell their products. This wasn't a reference to false information, but reflected their concern with the ways in which factually correct information could be used to present a false picture. Compare this with the situation in IT - where training providers are allowed to use whatever ****-and-bull story they like to sell their courses to "financially excluded" groups. My advice to anyone who feels they have been a victim of mis-selling would be to speak to the FSA - http://www.fsa.gov.uk/.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yikes, I've gone blind!

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wow, What a thread! I would like to add an analogy......
    As someone from an Automotive background it always used to make me smile when i would get a call;

Punter- "what do you think of a .........."

Boyce- "They aren't brilliant, i could suggest a better car. Why are you thinking of buying one? "

Punter- "oh, i have just bought one".

This would happen the same amount of times as people would ask me to look over a car before making their mind up. I always put this down to most people will do what they feel is best regardless of *professional* advice.
    The people whose car i had insulted :oops: (i didn't realise they had bought it afterall) would say "oh, why" or "what makes you say that" or the favourite "you only see the broken ones in the workshop"
    I would try and make them see my point by asking when they purchased their house if the surveyer came while they were thinking of buying the house or after the mortgage had been arranged and payments starting to repay.

When i decided to train for IT, i didn't know very much but i looked around, read magazines, got a few *old banger desktops* and generally fooled around to get a feel for the whole thing.

Please don't think i am being horrible; i am trying to advise anybody who is thinking of training.

*Decide if "IT" is for you- Buy some magazines, look at recruitment agencies, play with an old computer.

* Can you affford the drop in money? If you are leaving school, living at home or just left Uni then this might not be an issue. If it is, then you can always make up money by doing some e-baying, car boot sales or whatever.

* Find good training material- it is availible and at reasonable cost. Start with Amazon for books

* Dont forget the Internet and Forums- one of the best resources around.

* Don't be forced or feel you will miss out. If i went to a Car Dealers and they told me unless i sign a finance agreement i would miss out on a car deal i would laugh :biggrin

I hope people reading agree, and for those who are thinking about starting out, think Wisely :thumbleft

Regards

Simon AK Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not really Baba, the endowment mis-selling scandle of which I am still a victim has been pretty well established to have been caused by poor financial advice given out by so-called professional financial advisors. The law has tightened up on them over the years in an attempt to protect investors, including the savvy ones.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I completely agree that there are people who have been genuinely swindled as I said in my post, but trust me, when you get people who call you and the conversation goes like this:

Customer: "I demand to know why you have been taking £100 out of my bank for the last several months/years."

Me: "Let's see, this will be the payment for your mortgage."

Customer: "Oh, do I have my mortgage with you do I?"

And as I previously said, not a day would go by when someone didn't say "I wasn't told that when I took it out!", Me: "But it is in the terms and conditions that you signed." Them: "Oh."

These are the people who I have little sympathy for. Buying a house is the biggest investment a person can make and yet they have no idea why a mortgage company is taking money from them on a monthly basis!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

People are generally very smart but not everybody has the same interest regarding techy things or financial stuff. It's what makes the world go round. People come to me if they have an issue with their networks. I go to them, if I have an issue that I don't understand with my finances. Hopefully the information I give, is as sound as a pound and the information I receive is equally reliable.

The problems start when mis-information is proliferated by people in a position where they should know better. A position of trust.

Getting back to topic, I believe the problems people are having with training providers and their sales staff, is that the unwary are taking the word of salesmen (whom may not be fully conversant with the real world of IT), as gospel. Then when they finally see the light, they realise that they have been given advice which may not be good for a person in their circumstances.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)