SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Complete!

Discussion in 'SBS' started by craigie, Feb 14, 2010.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well, I performed a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 over the weekend.

16 hour day on Saturday and 4 hours today.

Everything has gone across as expected and it's all up and running.

Wasn't a massive migration only 10 clients and 1 server, but we have a much bigger migration next weekend 50 clients and 6 servers. So it was a pretty good test bed.

I will write up all of the stuff we did to help anyone going threw something similar, there are some major pitfalls and you get zero feedback until you have installed SBS 2008.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cool mate, Ive done a few SBS 2003 to 2008 migrations now. Did you have to migrate sharepoint? That was the only problem I have had so far.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, wow :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nearly finished the second migration now.

It's been an absolute ball ache so far.

Had to do the following:

- Change the internal IP Scheme from Public IP Range to Private IP, the client has SDSL, 2 x ADSL line with Active Failover. The freakin firewall was a complete mess so just re did the whole config.

- No Printers or WAP on DHCP schemes so had to sort that out as well.

- 8 x Apple MACS, got those badboys on a new Subnet.

- Citrix is up and running which is good news.

- SQL 2005 fails on installation, after googling my arse off, cannot find a resolution, so think it will be a call to MS in the morning.

- Exchange 2003 to 2007 mailbox moves have been an epic fail, tried moving the largest 14GB file, which failed on corruptions. Currently still moving them as we speak.

- Used Always Synch to move files from old SBS to new SBS box.

- Group Policy and Login Scripts now working like a dream, all printers being pushed out via GPO.

- RRAS, NPS configured and working.

- Network Documented.

So after a 7am start on Saturday morning and getting home at 2am on Sunday, then up at 7am this morning, I still have quite a bit todo before I can call it a day.

Keep the caffeine coming!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Sounds fun mate - bet the pay check for the overtime is juicey too!

Enjoy the rest - when you reach it!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like one of my days mate. Sounds like you are getting some good experience from this migration though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hope it goes well mate. So you can finally have some well deserved rest. :thumbleft

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Keep up the good work! :gmorning

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Still working on this now, the freakin SBS2003 Information Store decided to go offline whilst moving the 5 largest mailboxes.

Started the move again now, mailflow is working, checked Outlook clients etc, so happy days.

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thank goodness for that - nice break after a hard weekend, or straight back to the firing line?

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Straight back on it mate.

Got my normal work to do today and some Cisco Project work that involves line migrations and and a couple of VPN tunnels on PIX's and ASA's.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

sounds good!