Saying Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by CJFugazi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. CJFugazi

CJFugazi New Member

Hi All,

Being polite and introducing myself.

I'm an old-hat programmer who has been out of the scene for a while, but decided about three months ago to try and bump my qualifications up to the new standard.
    I started a course to gain MCSD, but having read a few posts here I beginning to worry that my money has not been spent wisely, as I understand it the MCSD qualification will be defunct in March, and as I'm only 1 month into the course I don't have a cat-in-hells chance of completing it and yes I'm one of the 'mugs' who signed up with a training company, to the tune of £3,200 (£~80 paid monthly) :x

I'm now trying to find out what they intend to do about the qualification changes and if I don't get satisfactory responses I'm going to cancel my payments and if necessary see them in court.

To be honest they have been very good with the support, mainly through email, but I do have a mentor I can contact anytime up to 7pm weekdays and as yet haven't had any problems getting hold of him.

I suppose my question is can the MCSD course be replaced with the newer ones without having to start from scratch.

Thanks

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), well now that you've signed up with a TP find out the benefits etc as you're now in it or see if there's a early exit route.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Can't help you on the training provider front... but I *can* welcome you to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you get the MCAD or MCSD credential you can upgrade it to MCPD.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure its a no for using old .Net exams on the new tracks, the old and new tracks are supposed to be different and there are only upgrade exams for the mentioned credentials.

The changes from .Net 1.0 to .Net 2.0 weren't huge in my mind so I'd have thought most of your tuition should still apply to the new exams.

If you are an expereinced programmer then I'm surprised you went with a TP.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. CJFugazi

CJFugazi New Member

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I was an experienced programmer about 20 years ago!

I suffered a few problems back then and left the industry and most of the knowledge I have gained since then has been self taught as and when I have needed it. I don't currently work in IT as my main job .. though a lot of it is involved with IT. I took a route that I thought would give me a structured learning (so far it has done that).

I've done a bit of research and spoken to Microsoft & my training company, it seems that, as stated by another reply, that most of what I will learn will still be pretty relevant to the new qualification with a cross over examination.

Just hope it is as it seems.