Salary Issue

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by slyuen, Jun 4, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So true. There is definitely no skills shortage at the entry level - 500 odd applicants for every position (most of home couldn't tell you what an IP address). The higher up you go, the harder it gets to find anyone who satisfies your requirements. Case in point - a few weeks back I interviewed a guy for a role that encompasses everything from desktop support to systems and network administration. The job was based in our Glasgow office, and paying around 28k a year (not bad money for that part of the world). The fella didn't even know what traceroute was, let alone where you would use it. Dreadful. Still, the amount of clueless halfwits out there keeps me in a job - and is the reason I will never badmouth people coming from abroad to work in IT in the UK.

There IS a skills shortage higher up the ladder in this country. Anyone decent at IT will easily be able to exploit this to their advantage.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I wouldnt have minded that job lol

Still glasgow :S

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Watch it you! :biggrin

hee hee! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the job still going? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

You're correct, lots of incompetent people applying for these jobs, sad news that not only made it seem like supply is over demand, and at the same time devaluing for real professionals.

This guy I talked about in the original thread managed to slip through the interview and got offered the job, but he is just not ready for the job and I bet he'll be gone within a few months' time - back to square one.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Totally agree, the state of management in the UK is appalling, add to that the lack of recognition for engineering disciplines and you have a pretty good explantion for a lot of things, like why germany has a thriving car industry and we don't...