Salary Increase P@ss Take

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Apr 11, 2008.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi slypie, I totally understand where you are coming from! Many a time I was passed over for salary increases when in my view I deserved one! Where I work today I know for a fact that others I work with are getting more then me - and do diddly-squat! I too have resigned over salary issues; I did this once 5 years ago and guess what? I was shown the door - they had another gimp in the office within a day from a local agency. The odds are totally against you as they're hundreds of certified newbies that would be willing to do your job at minimum wage.

Also, your personally situation is nothing to do with the company. My girlfriend is 3 weeks off giving birth and even now my "good" salary has now turned into looking like a bad salary that will just about see me through the month. This isn't my company's fault or problem.

My payrise last year equalled approx 5% and that was only because non-IT managers were kind enough to constantly send glowing accolades about my abilities to my IT Director. Having 99% of your non IT dept-work collegues behind you is definently the best way to get a rise! It's their opinion on your level of service that counts. If they compliment you on your abilities etc then get them to put it in writing preferably cc'ing your IT Director OR whoever holds the purse strings!

At this moment in time I do not think about my current salary - I think more about the next salary. I would like to aim for 40K for my next job and I would like it to be with my current company. The only way I'll get a look in on that is to build up my soft-skills, people skills, project management skills and my technical skills in the current role. My company are now giving me the chance to do this in the way of a secondment to the more interesting side of IT, salary hasn't been mentioned but the training and experience that I will gain far outweighs an extra 150 quid a month after tax!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I know it's one of those things where I'm in two minds. Yes I've been at the company for only 6 months but on the other hand I'm not really willing to wait 1.5 years for an increase. I think they should of given me a % increase for the time I've been at the company.

I'm not part of IT because I am paid by the office and not the IT department. My manager is the IT manager in London but my job is complex in where I belong in a sense. I didn't know this before I joined but with this knowledge I'm crapping myself that I'm going to be shafted each year as they don't understand the work I do nor my experience and qualifications. I have been approached for another job for similar money and I would also be working as part of a group rather on my own (there are pros and cons to both situations). I might hear what they have got to offer and make a decision from there.

Now that I have a family and a mortgage money is very important to me than it was years ago living in one of my parents flats paying £50 a month rent and not having a son.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

£50 a month rent ! My parents would have laughed in my face at such an offer, £500 more like ! You had it easy ! :biggrin

Early on in my career as a recent graduate, wheres its typical to expect rapid progression, after 2 years with no raise, I walked into my managers office and politely asked for a raise, he said 'absolutely not no way', the same manager had already caused half the department to leave of their own volition, and the work I did was the same as many people earning double or more.

I said 'Well if I don't get a raise you know what will happen.' he said 'what?', I said 'I think you can guess...'

At that point it was clear to me that I could spend a lifetime under this guy and never get a raise, thats all the information I needed, so I brushed up my CV and within a month had a new job and a £10k raise. Now turned out new job was rubbish, but thats another story !

The only way you are going to sort this is to talk to the paymasters and negotiate a deal, this could be possible future promotion, pay rise tied to performance, etc. With an agreement in place at least you will know where you stand and can compare it objectively with other offers.

I'd also count your blessings, your very lucky to have a career in IT and a wife and a son, drum is right in that many people would give a lot to have what you have.

4. michael78

Well just to update everyone. There was a lot of changes in the Office and the new MD used to sit behind me so knew how hard I work and how difficult my job is. I thought I'd have nowt to loose so I wrote a letter asking for my salary to be reviewed and he agreed and gave me a partial increase which is what I was after. So I'm a happy bunny.

Cheers all for the feedback it was much appreciated.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Goog news :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well done mate, glad to hear it

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the payrise...

9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Is that a new word? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Naw, it's a name. Anyone called Les has a name. 'Big' for instance flies biplanes, as in Big les' (Capt. W E Johns for those that don't know). Someone that talks complete bollocks is called 'testic'.

I await your responses... :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats...
    - Glad it worked out for the better

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

its my amazing fast typing without looking what I have put :blink

goo goo ga joob :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

lol :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Offering my 2 cents on the original topic.

Pretty much ditto this. If it's not in writing your buttocks are well and truly ripe for plowing.

I've handed back contracts to employers before for differing reasons. If the employer wants you and you want to work for your employer and you can both be reasonable in your demands, you'll work it out.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  15. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Loyalty, What's that? At the end of the day all companies use employees to be able to operate and make money (and don't usually reward you in the same way they are (financially))! If you can secure yourself a role with greater tech exposure or financial benefit elsewhere, which would directly benefit you (and especially those closest) then move on! I have doubled my salary since graduating (nearly 2 years ago) and dread to think what would of happened if I put loyalty before my personal benefits (prob have got £500 salary increase and have recieved no greater scope outside the role!). This statement directly backs up peoples opinion of Uni grad's who secure 1st line positions and then move on quickly............... but it is of personal interest if you can move on from these opportunities!
    :twisted:

16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ how many times have you moved roles?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. michael78

lol it's a mute point now as I was made redundant after 2.5 years. I posted this years ago :biggrin

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This. Repped.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Wasn't asking you :)

Oh, and it's "moot"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA