Salary Discussion

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ce127, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Is it only me who was raised to believe it's impolite to casually ask people how much things were and how much they are paid (with the obvious exceptions such as recruiters)??

I always just presumed it was a rude No-No to ask someone what money they are on, but am shocked that apparently it Is okay, going by my friends, colleagues, and even some family (bloody Yorkshirefolk).

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends on the situation and what your relationship is like with the person... Generally I don't normally talk about salary unless it's with colleagues/friends in the same position, those that will be going into the same position or trying to get a base for asking for a salary review & you need facts and figures from other people in the same position to strengthen your case....

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

I guess it just feels odd to me because I've always been insecure that I'm not earning enough

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've always told people what i earn if i'm asked - it's never been an issue to me, but i guess i know what you mean about the not asking part. In america it seems no one ever ever talks about what they earn

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I don't do it, it stems from my contracting days where you can have two contractors doing the same roles and being paid £100 a day difference, it put's peoples noses out of joint and can lead to resentment.

If asked how much I earn, I tell people enough to keep me comfortable.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Ce127 likes this.