Sage Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThomasMc, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hi everyone, we have not long deployed some Sage software called Construct Advanced. The software itself is somewhat not living up to the initial expectation of the people involved in buying the solution (contract was agreed before my time).

So has anyone else had dealings with this piece of software and if so how was your experience.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In my (limited) experience of Sage, deploying anything other than the basic accounts/payroll packages requires not only a dedicated Sage resource, but considerable planning beforehand. It is NOT something that can just be dumped into a business and be expected to provide any real benefits.

What sort of things are you using it for? I worked for a company once that used it for most of their management, sales/ledger and payroll functions. They had 350 employees, yet paid a Sage bod 75k a year to run it all for them. That might sound like a lot, but the ROI was ridiculously high as turnover increased about 40% whilst i was there. That said, this fella REALLY knew his stuff - not just Sage but Business Objects and Cognos as well (their main BI tools). In short, he was a PROPER business Analyst - not some pillock who could use pivot tables in Excel.

I suspect you might have had a visit from the ol' snake oil merchants in the not-too-distant past...

"This will solve all your problems. Buy it from us and we'll install it all and set it up for you... Oh, BTW, now that its installed, we charge you £1200 a day consultancy to actually make it do anything useful :biggrin "

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hi zebulebu, thanks for your reply. We use Construct, Payroll, and Line 50 in our office for a small to medium size company without going into too much detail I've had lots of experience with supporting payroll and line 50 but this consruct is a little new to me, it's an MS SQL solution so I'm managing to workaround most of the problems we are facing and the support is another problem, because we got it from an approved business partner sage won't take our support requests.

we use construct for Retentions/Purchase order processing/Timesheets/Labour/Subbie/Client Billing and a couple of more things

the training schedule was 6 1/2 day session's which i felt was a bit inadequate and where held around the year end

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - that seems ridiculously short for someone who is expected to support a product as complex as that with little previous exposure.

My only experience with Sage has been at the back-end (SQL Server) as a DBA - I've never done anything with the front end (wouldn't even know what it looked like).

If you have support through a reseller, then surely they are responsible for your every whim? If Sage state that they won't support you direct because you went through an approved reseller and the reseller is refusing to give you support, threaten to take it up direct with Sage - that should sort 'em out.

That is, providing your company signed a support agreement with the reseller of course. They DID sign a support agreement with the reseller, right? :eek:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. sparkyelectric

sparkyelectric New Member

my company uses this software, and i must say it completely throws me. maybe its nothing to do with any flaws,but is there a valid reason why i cant forward an invoice saved on sage as a readable document through email, or even just to tansfer it into an excel based format. anything really i just want to send electronic copies to some-o of invoices on my sage system.

like i can do so far is a screen print to give them. and no offens but it dont make my company look very professional.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

yip its an expensive piece of cack that sage bought and tried to integrate with its current range of products(and done a piss poor job at it)

sparkyelectric, are you any good with MS Access?