Saddam Hussein arrested in Iraq

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Dec 14, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been arrested, an Iraqi Kurdish representative in Iran says, but the U.S. Defence Department says it can not confirm the report. "I confirm that Saddam has been arrested," Nazem Dabag, representative in Iran of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK).

BBC news have just screened (and still are) footage of Saddam Hussein after being captured by US forces. He had been hiding in a "spider hole" which was discovered after US forces conducted further searches after a failed initial raid. You can follow the breaking news here (bbc realmedia feed).

news.bbc.co.uk
    reuters.co.uk

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Must have been a big spider.

Good news though.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

WOW !!!

Must say, at first I thought this was a wind-up, Si :)

But checking on-line, and on BBC 24, it's amazing to actually see him physically alive.

Somehow, I don't think this is going to "switch off" all terrorism in an instant, as some seem to ba making out.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree there Jak, I sure am interested in knowing what happens now. Will this man be sentenced to for all the atrocities that were carried out under his regime and who will lead this?

Its history in the making and I'm intersted in reading the next chapter. I always thought that someday he would be found dead, either killing himself or by an allied troop.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That's exactly what he wanted, and the West feared most - that he died a martyr. Alas, not to be.

Your right - the next chapter will be most interesting reading. And what of bin Laden - too much to ask for the double this soon, I suppose !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I first saw this, I thought it was a gag. While I'm glad he's been captured, I doubt it will solve very much. There's going to be so much political wrangling around this from every organization from OPEC to NATO to the UN. I agree that terrorism won't stop just because one major terrorist has been captured. In fact, terrorist acts are libel to escalate with various terrorist factions demanding Hussein's release or they'll keep blowing up Israeli school children and commuters travelling by bus to and from work as well as U.S. and allied armed forces in Iraq.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just so you don't think the hunt for Osama bin Laden has been abandoned, I found this.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Never thought the trail had gone cold on that one, really - just wonder if it'll bear the same fruit ?

Is there such a thing as the "Global Understatement of the Century Award" ?

Like, "watch out - you'll have someone's eye out with those WMDs" :roll: