Ruby

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by MrNerdy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Has anyone tried Programming in Ruby?
    Is it easy to do for a non-programmer??

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I tried recently, but got frustrated and gave up. The problem I found was that there wasn't much documentation available, and it didn't seem to be very intuitive, i.e. not easy to pick up or grasp relatively quickly.

I think there are others on here who persevered, though :oops:

Edit: after Freddy's post - to be more specific, I didn't actually try to learn it, I was just trying to get an application installed. Gave up on that too :oops:

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've never used Ruby, but from what I've seen I didn't think it would be that hard to learn. It's all OO though so if you're not used to that it might cause you some problems.

Take a look for Ruby in the left-hand column named Directory in the following link. It will take you to a page of resources for Ruby.

http://linoleum.leapster.org/

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've done a little work in Ruby. It is *heavily* OO, in fact everything in the language is an object, which can lead to some fairly unreadable code. But on the other hand some pretty powerful stuff can be done with it.

The main downside at the moment is that all those objects make it somewhat slow. Another is that it tends to keep evolving, which makes writing 'standard' code a little difficult.

There is at least one good book - "Programming Ruby" - Dave Thomas (and others), and a newish book from O'Reilly is getting good reviews.

I looked at Ruby when there was so much fuss about 'Rails'. The snag I discovered was that Rails only worked for new designs, and as long as your design was Rails-friendly. Trying to retro-fit Rails onto an existing design just doesn't work.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+