RRAS NAT

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by hippy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

It says in the Lesson Summary (Chapter 9 Lesson 3 NAT stuff) "To function, NAT requires that a default route be configured with no gateway specified" for it to be able to work. Well in my test lab i do not have this set up in RRAS and my NAT works just fine *go me :D*. I do have a default route (pointing to my second network card in vmware which is bridged to my live network) of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.250(PHY router address) which obviously does not show in the RRAS console.

Do i need to take notice of that quoted comment? Or is it just for dial on demand via dial up (damn author always uses dial up connections!)

One other question:

When i set up an address pool for the external interface and set a reservation for my second server it does route via the IP i have assigned to it. But just to clarify, I can only ping (ignore default ICMP settings) the physical address of the external address and not the extra ones in the address pool?

Got lesson 4, 5 to do and then i can sleep! Spent too long trying to fath about with COM ports to direct cables in vamware to mimic a modem (failed misserably) :rolleyes:

Cheers!

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like you're having fun with the 70-291 studies considering its a hard and dry subject:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Woo got a DHCP Relay Agent in RRAS working over my wmworkstation setup... wasnt working at first and was packet sniffing via netmon, tracert'ing, looking at the captures in netmon and then it dawned on me... my DHCP server was in a one way street :D