Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pauljb123, Jan 10, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

That 'German' firmware is probably DD-WRT. Thats exactly what i run - its the peak of third-party firmware evolution for the WRT54G. You can flash it back to the default Linksys, or use something a touch more user-friendly like HyperWRT, but, to be honest, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice, as DD-WRT has far, far more features than almost any other firmware out there.

Of course, for the true nerd, there's OpenWRT - which is a 'true' Linux based firmware, with support for all sorts of packages, including Snort (as I'm currently finding out!).

You can also pay for your firmware from some sources - which has caused consternation amongst the open-source community - the author of the firmware in question seems to have an (ahem) 'interesting' interpretation of the GPL...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Its this mate, seems like its a german version with german language. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-Wirel...997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260072613003

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. pauljb123

pauljb123 New Member

so this linksys router, what is the advantages of me buying this with its third party firmwire, what can i do with it, and is there a specfic version i need top buy? Also does it support adsl 2+?

4. pauljb123

pauljb123 New Member

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have the earlier 2600 and it is a solid piece of gear!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. pauljb123

pauljb123 New Member

well thanks everyone for you help, but i went a total different direction and went for a billion 7405G router.

Cheers

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have heard a lot of good things about Billion routers in general - let us know how you get on with it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've only got a few Hundred, myself. :clown

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Boom boom :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. pauljb123

pauljb123 New Member

Well just to let you guys know i got the billion 7404GL (same as G expect lacks VPN) and what can i say, solved all problems. A great router, and defo worth the extra bit of cash. Thanks for all your help again