Router on a stick type setup...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jonny7_2002, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I have a layer 3 switch configured with 3 vlans
    Data - 10.2.1.0/24
    Voice - 10.2.2.0/24
    Guest - 10.2.3.0/24

I have my 2008 standard server connected to the switch and want to use it for DHCP for ALL 3 VLANS.

Does anyone know if i can set this up like a router on a stick... effectively using the server as the router?
    Can i setup 802.1q trunking between the switch and the server to enable all 3 vlans to go over the same physical cable?

I'm shattered today and I'm either having a mental block or just being plain stupid!?:rolleyes:

Cheers
    Jonny

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you server has 3 x Physical NIC's one for each LAN range it would work, but then you would need to do manual route adds between each subnet.

In Server 2008 they have reduced the features of RRAS, so it now does not support OSPF, so I'm pretty sure it won't do the routing anymore.

If you use Hyper V, you can do VLANing in that but that would be between servers.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Would it not be easier to run the switch as a DHCP server or does it not support this.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  4. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

No, no support for DHCP on the switch.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

6. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Cheers for that, however I have found a way that i think i can do it.
    The intel NIC drivers include an Advance Networking Services driver which enables you too configure vlans on the nic interface and it also supports setting the link to a trunk.....

7. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Glad you got it sorted mate.