Robocopy advice

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Jan 3, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Any Robocopy gurus out there who might be able to advise me why the following copy job is failing. Its set up to run every hour, every day. It backs up all files in a share by mirroring the share to a different server (job is being put in place temporarily whilst I stick another shelf in our NetApp SAN). However, it fails, complaining that it can't locate the initial resource. I've checked share permissions - they're fine. (code sanitised to remove private references, but UNC paths are both correct) - and I've also tried it by referencing the default admin share of the drive the files are on instead of by a UNC path - nada

Here's the code:

Code:
    SETLOCAL

SET _source=\\LIVESERVER\c$\Share
    SET _destination=\\BACKUPSERVER\c$\BackupShare
    SET _what=/COPYALL /B /SEC /MIR
    SET _options=/R:2 /W:15 /LOG:BackupJobLog.txt /NDL /NFL /NS /V
    ROBOCOPY %_source% %_destination% %_what% %_options%
    Any ideas? I've run the job perfectly well on test boxes on my network at home - it happily chunks 2gb worth of my music across my LAN every hour without problems.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Haven’t used robocopy in a while but what you have posted looks sound.

What OS is the server running? You could put in a DFS share that would put the data in both locations so you don’t have to worry about the scheduled task running. I used this in a couple of installs and it has worked fine.

Linky
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

2K3 both ends - same as at home and it works fine here. Both 32-bit as well, I know robocopy doesn't work on 64-bit OSes.

DFS is a little bit too much trouble to go to to set up just for three or four days. I'm going to have another look at the share permissions tomorrow. The target share that the files are being copied from is on a CIFS volume on our SAN - I'm wondering if there is something funky going on at the NetApp end that will override share permissions on the Windows side. not having had any exposure to NetApp stuff before it will be a voyage of discovery for me - as will the fact that I've been tasked with adding a second shelf with another 2 TB of storage to the SAN!

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, looks like the netapp box may be causing the issue.

Just out of interest does xcopy work?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nope - and this is starting to become a big issue for me, especially since I have spent six hours in our data centre trying to hot add, cold add and just plain fricking ADD an extra shelf to our SAN - with not particularly impressive results. Not only would it not detect the shelf, for 45 heart stopping minutes the SAN wouldn't boot at all after we reverted - turns out the add process appears to have knocked one of the module slots out of action. Believe me, when you're in your first month with a new employer and, basically, their entire business sits on an Oracle DB pointing at the SAN and you get a friendly message saying 'no disks detected' when you boot, your life flashes before your eyes! Eventually got it up and running again by plumbing the live module into a second slot on the shelf - phew!

I'm going to spend all bloody day tomorrow if I have to figuring out why a perfectly good robocopy job just refuses to play ball on the NetApp.