Roaming profiles

Discussion in 'Networks' started by d_mcgrail, Jul 21, 2009.

1. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

I have been asked to look into information regarding roaming profiles for our laptop users at work and just wondered what peoples experiances are. Good points/ Bad points etc any comments would be greatly appreciated.

David :twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Do you know what roaming profiles actually do?

I'm not trying to be an arse, just want to make sure you know the differences between local/mandatory/roaming profiles beforehand.

If not, read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaming_user_profile

Personally, they're a pain in the ass. They get way too large and cause ridiculous waiting times at logon. I'm a big believer of mapping a 'home' drive and then telling staff to save their data there if they want it to be backed up each night. We currently implement local profiles only. If they don't save it to a network share, there's no guarantee.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Roaming profiles can be OK, if you do use them, I would recommend creating a profile which is locked down as much as posible and as Q's said ensure you map a home drive for them to save work.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

long as the use doesn't save there mp3 collection on there desktop :rolleyes:

I did think it wasn't fashionable to use any more.

5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I save everything to my desktop and i use "my documents" as a back up lol it annoys everyone.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

With My Documents being redirected to a network location, right?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Cheers guys,

I planning to read up on roaming profile now.

My only previous experiance with them has been users complaining about login times etc. To be honest its just one method of backing up user data that my boss wants me to look at but i will see what other ideas we can use.

Thanks again and any further suggestions always appreciated. :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I bet they only want roaming profiles so they can have their uber swish backgrounds wherever they move to :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They're horribly slow. Avoid if you can.

Just imagine an office full of people pulling down their profiles at about the same time every morning! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do your users actually “roam”? Nobody actually seems to ask that question before deciding on a profile strategy.

If they do then roaming profiles are ok however they need to be managed and try and restrict files types that can be saved such as MP3s.

If users are at the same desk every day then perhaps just redirect My Docs and the Desktop to the users home folder.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Repeat offenders you could redirect the my docs folder to the recycle bin :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009