Rising Fuel Prices - It might just work!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Lee, Jul 7, 2007.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

i love how everyone just latched on to the second suggestion that i made, so what about the hybrid??

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've read somewhere that their fuel efficiency isn't that much better than a fuel-efficient car (I've heard 45 mpg) being mentioned.

I'm not a car man so I expect someone to prove me wrong :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

My other half gets option 5, and he does tend to drive in to Brum - but he lives 75 miles away, so I can't really argue that point. I still do the public transport. I finish work at 5.30, and get home around 7.15/7.30 if everything runs on time.

Yes, it sucks, but it depends on what you do with your time in between. I either read or write my novel, so I don't see my commute as a wasted space of time; whereas if I drove, I'd spend 45 minutes - 1 hour agonising about all the other turds on the M6. I'd arrive at work stressed, and I wouldn't have got anything done on my journey - now that is wasted time in my view.

This subject is different courses for different horses - ThomasMC, you do have a viable argument, but hybrid cars still aren't 100% effective, especially if your day job involves either a huge commute or going from customer to customer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yes very true Arroryn - I used to pass the time reading my w2k mcse books! So yes that's a good point and one that I forgot to consider in my earlier post!

As for the M6 and driving annoyances in general - my only hang up about driving for my job is the turds who drive with their front foglights on - traffic jams I can handle but these dumb shmucks do my nut in!!! But on the subject of traffic jams, I'm lucky enough to have Tom Tom Plus subscription on my satnav which utilises the 3g sim card on my works phone! It's great and 99% of the time keeps me moving!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Big waves sometimes start as small ripples.

69p is not ludicrous. If you check the crude oil prices and the prices the rest of the world pays for the same you will see that, as usual the UK is being shafted.

This wouldn't happen in the states because the Americans won't bend over and take it like we in the UK do, we just bend over and whinge about it while we're being shafted (albeit, with a stiff upper lip)

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  6. drum_dude

Lee we are being shafted by the govt not the oil companies! You have understand the difference between the two! About 63p of what we pay is TAX!! Read this link:

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html

That chain email is a load of rubbish unless directed at the govt!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

I would, but I'm a civvy, not SAS. Walk 30 miles to work, or take 2 hours on Public Transport, ok.

No thanks 'eco warrior'!

8. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

What about when you're not working? I can't fit the wife and kids in a rucksack. Public transport round here is shite and costs a small fortune.

I've got family in Lincoln and Gloucester, do you have any idea how much a train/bus/coach fare is to these places let alone how long it takes?

9. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

People still go to work whatever the weather. They may not be heading for the beaches since you may have noticed it's been pissing with rain quite a lot, consumption IS down, prices ARE up. Explain that! (Or do a bit of research)

10. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Yeah, so the jock's could get even more subsidies!

11. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Yes, and if the petrol companies were charging less...there would be less tax...:rolleyes:

Have you heard of percentages?

12. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

When you gonna get something fast for the weekend?

How about 0 -100mph before your Mundane is out of first (or still spinning it's wheels) :ohmy

BTW: I do have a great job with excellent pay.

13. drum_dude

what??? the tax would stay the same regardless of the product price! Would you still argue about the price is the govt quit taking 63p per litre in tax?? In fact the product price would be LOWER then your 60 odd pence figure...

63p minus 98p = 35p a litre (litre price based on unleaded in my area)

So there you go - the oil companies are charging 35p a litre...is that bad??? You don't seriously think that they'll drop much lower then that do you? If they did then the govt would be straight in with a tax hike!

14. drum_dude

Slagging off established members is not a good idea on Certforums. I'd think a little before you post.

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't mean consumption of fuel, I mean consumption of oil in general. Work and the fuel used in travelling is one instance. The poor weather in the UK will drive holidaymakers abroad; there's one increase.

Please, try to keep civil. This is a forum where we try to have pleasant debates; repeated one liners quoting from other members do not contribute nicely to the discussion.

And as an addendum to the ranting about something 'fast for the weekend' et al - I don't have a great paying job, but it's fun, and it's something I don't mind scraping myself on to public transport for. That's my choice. People that drive or walk to work do so of their own volition, and I'm not trying to change that.

But when I go for a drive of a weekend, I do so in my 2.0 Alfa Lusso with great delight. You can sometimes try to do the best for both worlds.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ahem! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Lmao, you live in a dream world bud.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. shambles

shambles Guest

I drive 80 miles a day to and from work. Fuel is my second biggest outgoing. But you know what? I think petrol is too cheap. And I think the government should continue to raise the tax level on all fossil-derived vehicle fuels.

Why? Because it creates an incentive for people to be a bit careful about how much energy they burn and in turn, how much of a contribution they make to Global Warming (I just know there will be some people itching to come in, here). High vehicle fuel costs encourage people to buy more fuel-efficient cars. It encourages manufacturers to build more fuel-efficient cars (the latest diesel Polo does 75mpg). It is a tax that hits the ignorant and the wealthy harder than it hits the average man in the street. It's a good thing!

Personally, I think this sort of campaign is wrong-footed and completely back to front. Rather than attempting to bring down the price of fuel, we should be encouraging other countries, the USA and China in particular, to be just a bit less irresponsible about the resources they just fritter away.

19. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

I have.
    Do you not have a sense of humour?

20. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

This is true.

I do less than 8000 miles a year which is a lot less than some.