RIS

Discussion in 'Software' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

A bit just in my spare time

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I can push AV, Adobe and Office all out from the server with group policy, then reboot the PC with a scheduled task. Saves time! :biggrin

The Dells cause the most problems as they come with Windows pre-installed so I end up having to use a Dell CD to reinstall the OS so it will take the product key.

Other clients with older PCs which have been built with a volume licence copy of XP are easier to rebuild, to be honest there isn’t enough PCs on the networks for these particular clients to make RIS a worthwhile investment. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It seems we have something in common there, we use Dells as well and yes they are a total pain in the neck.
    I was told on my first day that Dell is a bit of a swear word at work! :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Spark,

So RIS and Dell are a no, no?! If so, it amazes me that such a big company (who big corps probably use) don't allow for this.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky

It all comes down to licensing. The Dells have Windows pre-installed so you need to use the key on the side of the base unit to activate; this is also the same for Office as well except this is on the CD packaging. You can buy Dells without an OS from the Small Business Section on the website but I’m not sure if it works out more expensive in terms of licensing XP.

It’s best to make the RIS image with volume licence keys so you can deploy without any activation drama.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yeah, this is one of the gripes i have with MS. If you pay for something why shouldn't you be able to re-install it?!
    How many systems have been sold with a *recovery partition*? These are no cheaper than the systems with a full blown install CD.

Si

7. Sparky

Yup, it’s a pain.

Can be a nightmare when a laptop has to get rebuilt (say after a new HD) and you don’t have the original media. There is no chance any XP discs in the office are going to work even though you have the product key on the laptop! :blink

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Makes me mad! :twisted:

Si

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Why? scratched up or something else?

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

no, because they are cloned to each other.
    I saw a classic example of this a few weeks ago. 2 identical Asus laptops were bought at around the same time. I used the wrong disc and setup tells you to go away or insert the correct disc :eek:

Si