Review courses

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hollistera, Feb 26, 2008.

1. hollistera

hollistera New Member

I am an experienced Windows administrator and troubleshooter (18 years in the industry). I had a few NT4 MCPs, plus workstation and server 2000 MCPs. I would like to do MCSE 2003 having worked with it for several years now. Expecting to go to MCSE:Security ultimately.

Ideally what I would like to do is a one week whistle stop tour of all the areas to refresh my memory across the piece, but I can't find a course that is less than 14 days 'fasttrack'. Frankly I can't afford that long out of the office. Anyone know of anything shorter. Otherwise I'll have to sit and plough through the books.

Cheers :D

Certifications: MCP Windows 2000 Professional and Server
    WIP: CCSA, CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If you've already got loads of experience, it might be worth you sitting one of the exams and see how you get on. That might give you an idea of how far away you are from passing without studying. Depending on what your experience has been in you may well be able to pass the Server & Workstation exams without studying (I was). The Network Infrastructure & AD exams will definitely require some study to get through - I did my MCSE originally in 2002 and it took me nearly a year of full time study (though admittedly half of that was the two SQL exams I did as my electives). I had two years of experience in a sys-admin type role prior to that, but your extra years of experience should count for quite a lot.

I'd suggest taking the AD exam and seeing how you do. If you're miles away, at least you'll know that there's a lot more study than 14 days required - if not, then maybe just brush up on the areas you think you're weakest on, get hold of some CBT videos and take some practice tests.

Good luck - you're almost the opposite of most new posters on here, who want to pass quickly after buying into tech-school bullshit, but don't have any experience!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Along the same idea as Zeb, but instead of taking the test, why not get some practice tests to see how you fair. At least that way you’ll be able to pinpoint any weaknesses and strengths.

Welcome to the forums… :sunny

4. asanthadenz

asanthadenz Bit Poster

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCITP