Reverse DNS

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Leehaa, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What would be the effect of switching off reverse DNS on a small office network with one 2003 server hosting Domino and using lotus notes as mail server?

Please advise. Feel free to ask questions if you need more to answer this one!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Reverse DNS is only used the get the name if you feed it the IP address. I do not think it would have any effect to Lotus Notes, but I'm no Notes expert.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Some settings on things like SSH require reverse DNS for anti-spoofing, and some mail servers also need it or they will reject incoming emails.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Probably slight, but not knowing what all applications are used there it's hard to know.

It's easy enough to turn off and then back on again so it shouldn't hurt too much to try it sometime when most people aren't around. If you know what all applications are used on your network, and how each of them are used, it should be a piece of cake to test, and then if something breaks, to restore the functionality.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. ffreeloader

Only if your email servers are set up to use internal dns servers. They can be pointed elsewhere for DNS services if they aren't dependent on something like AD.

I wasn't aware of the SSH dependency on reverse DNS though.

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

See that's what i'm afraid of. I know that the company in question had a lot of difficulty with spammers, spoofing etc, and so my old manager changed the settings on the mail server to reduce the problem, or at least identify potential nasties - I think he used some kind of domino setting that may have required the reverse DNS to be on...

Seems like a little research will be required...

...then, as ffreeloader suggests, I can always test it at a quiet time - prob next week will be good!!

Thank you.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is this purely for email? If so then your email server will probably accept spam email from spoofed addresses but if the address does not exist in your organisation then it will eventually bounce. Also there is a setting in Domino that only accepts mail to your domain name anyway.

Just out of interest why do you need to switch it off?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. ffreeloader

I'd be a little curious about that too, although running reverse dns is a security problem if your internal dns servers are accessible from the internet.

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Just incase anyone is interested, I think i've found the answer:

From reading on the Notes forums, It appears that enabling reverse DNS for a domino mail server helps to greatly reduce the risk of SPAM

Problem is that innocent domains can get blocked also (which is why i'm querying this - as my customer has one client who they can't send to - emails just get stopped and time out due to PTR record not being located...and they called to say they wanted to be able to send to their client)....but unfortunately it looks like there is no way to "have your cake and eat it" - it's either have the reverse DNS on, and risk not being able to send to certain addresses, or have it switched off and receive ridiculous amounts of junk mail!!! See below:

LO23291: ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: OPTION TO BYPASS REVERSE DNS LOOKUP ON SPECIFIC DOMAINS.

APAR status
    Closed as fixed if next.

Error description
    To avoid SPAM mails, customer enabled reverse DNS lookup.
    Now mails are not received from internal FAX machine.
    If customer disable reverse DNS lookup then they receive SPAM
    mails.

Currently Domino allows the option to check domains for reverse
    DNS. This is
    helpful in blocking SPAM and unwanted email. However, there are
    a number of
    valid domains that may run into DNS problems, and messages are
    rejected because
    a PTR record cannot be located.

It would be helpful to include a field in the server
    configuration document, to
    specify domains which can bypass a reverse DNS lookup. With
    this, customers
    will be able to receive mail from recognized domains, regardless
    if they have a
    PTR record, while still blocking other mail that could be SPAM.
    Local fix
    Currently there is no workaround within Domino.
    Problem summary
    Problem conclusion
    Temporary fix
    Comments
    Too late to fix in 6.5.x as 6.5.6 already shipped and is the las
    APAR information
    APAR number LO23291
    Reported component name LOTUS NOTES/DOM
    Reported component ID 5724E7000
    Reported release 654
    Status CLOSED FIN
    PE NoPE
    HIPER NoHIPER
    Special Attention NoSpecatt
    Submitted date 2007-08-14
    Closed date 2007-09-11
    Last modified date 2007-09-11

APAR is sysrouted FROM one or more of the following:

APAR is sysrouted TO one or more of the following:

Modules/Macros
    UNKNOWN

Publications Referenced

Fix information

Applicable component levels
    R654 PSN UP

The clients are getting loads of junk as it is, and the notes forums say that the reverse DNS is very effective in aiding the blocking of SPAM, so I wouldn't want to switch it off just yet!!

....Solution: Our MD is setting the client up with message labs in the next week or so, so I guess the best option is to wait until that is in place, then turn off the reverse DNS and hopefully the filter will be thorough enough that I can switch off the reverse DNS...then fingers crossed, nothing else will be affected!!!

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

The IT department for a lady who my customer is (unsuccessfully) trying to send / receive emails to/from has said that the reason they are timing out is because of the reverse DNS being switched on at my customers end. They have basically told my customer to get me to switch it off :dry...

11. Sparky

What version of Domino are you using? There is an option in the server config documenent to allow SMTP traffic from IP addresses and domains. Might be worth a look.

To be honest they should have reverse DNS enabled on their domain, they will have problems emailing to other domains in time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Theirs is 6.5. Thank you Sparks - will take a look...

13. ffreeloader

I've never used Notes so don't know if the following will work with it, but have you tried subscribing to services like Spamhaus and other similar reputable free dnsbl services like it? They work very well with Exim. I'd say I'm blocking in excess of 98% of the spam that hits my email server through the use of free services.

14. Sparky

15. ffreeloader