Response to Snow Leopard Cost

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Pheonicks56, Jun 10, 2009.

?

What is Microsoft going to do?

1. Drop costs of Windows 7 to stay competitive and keep the Expensive Mac campaign going.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Keep Windows 7 price the same as predictions dictate and start new ad campaign.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Continue Expensive Mac campaign and keep Windows 7 price high.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Didnt realise Windows 7 was out yet. :wink:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Not convinced Snow Leopard is really just an SP
    I can hardly turn around and say 7 is not and Snow Leopard are
    they both have pretty decent modernizations in them and will both be awesome upgrades

that said, you have already paid apple a ton for the privelage of running it

most Laptop bargin hunters get the OS on it, and have a new one by the time a new OS comes out
    most Apple hardware buyers dont replace all that often, its an expensive platform to replace every year ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I definitely agree, but some people are die hards. Personally I wouldn't mind working with either system, I just would not want to pay for a Mac because I can build a PC myself with the exact specs I want for almost half the price of a Mac.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you truly believe that, then my assessment still stands, as Vista will be upgraded to SP3 for free.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Not trying to be funny right, but Apple is smart. Keeping the OS at that low price, will make people think twice before getting a pirated version.

Its more like: Its cheap now, not worth the hassle/risk of having something pirated, so I am getting it!

/yarr :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and sharing is caring :h:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  6. BosonMichael

Then that's a failure of Microsoft's marketing department - which should come as no big surprise.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Pheonicks56

While it might benefit the user to become educated by Microsoft's marketing, it will likely hurt Microsoft to educate the consumer. Microsoft's ads, as well as Apple's, have typically always dumbed down the issues to generate quick buzz about their product.

Look at Apple's approach I'm a Mac and I'm a PC, no education there, just saying PCs are for old dull executives and Macs are the new hip product that you should buy if you wanna be edgy and cool.

Laptop hunters: What can I get for $1500 in a laptop, hmmm... not even a single Mac, lets try a variety of different PC offerings that will suit my needs. But lets not take into account any other aspects accept for base price.

Educating the consumer would only benefit the consumer, or at least that's what the marketing departments believe and they are around to make money for the company by keeping the decisions costumers make simple. Either I want to look cool or I don't have the cash for that.

8. BosonMichael

Eh? That's absurd. How would it hurt Microsoft to educate the consumer? :blink NOT educating the consumer has already hurt Microsoft, specifically with regards to their silence in response to the overwhelming amount of negative (and, in my opinion, undeserved) publicity regarding Vista.

Although your second sentence is true, your second sentence does nothing to prove the allegations made by your first sentence. Educating the consumer helps the consumer, and it would help Microsoft as well.

9. BosonMichael

Er... no, it's not. There are plenty of people on this very forum who make their living off of creating intellectual property, and piracy absolutely affects us. It's not caring when you steal from me. If it's worth using, it's worth buying. Otherwise, keep your hands off of it; it's not yours to use.

10. Pheonicks56

I think our communication lines got crossed, I am mearly stating the obvious opinions of the marketing departments over at Microsoft and Apple, or at least their previous opinions. They don't want to educate the consumer because that opens up a whole world of possibilities in explaining why their products are what they are. In the past they have wanted to keep the consumer ignorant to keep the marketing schemes easier, that is where my second sentence about the different ad campaigns came in.

With that said, I agree that these two big OS players are acting like Detroit, if they don't change soon and start educating the consumer they will be taken over by the little guys who can offer better products cheaper such as Linux Distros.

11. BosonMichael

Again, I don't see how this is a bad thing for Microsoft or Apple.

Nah... it'll never happen. As good as the "little guys" OSes might be, they can't offer widespread corporate support, and their OSes won't run the same apps that the rest of the world uses. You may scoff at that, but when it comes to managing the IT needs of a company of normal users, that *is* important. Not even the PR disaster called Vista was enough to cause companies to abandon Windows. You think a lack of user education by Microsoft is going to do worse damage? :blink Nay - it'll take far, far more than that to cause a shift.

12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The Linux distros will never make a large enough in roads to worry either MS or Apple until someone makes them far more polished and user friendly. This is exemplified by Open Office, good program but I find it horrible to use, espically compared to office or even iWork on the Mac.

Back on the main track its worth remembering that the £/$30 cost is for an upgrade only if you have Leopard, else it is going to be the $130 price which will be roughly in the same area as Windows 7.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012