Response to Redundancy - Which course provider would be best?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Troppo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

On the point of the funds for training off the goverment where do you get this info from as I'm getting the bullet in Feb and want as muc help as possible.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

CF doesn't promote self-study, although many of it's members do.
    Now we've cleared that up, maybe we can all get back to doing what CF does promote: helping people.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Thank you Soundian

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

You know my point - the people on here promote self-study - last time i checked a domain name couldn't do promoting.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Troppo

Troppo New Member

Thanks for the concern, but the goverments/your tax money is not going to be wasted on me taking a course I might not enjoy. I already work in IT, so it's not a career change, and having viewed some course material and taken some mock exams for the A+ & Network+, I can see there is lots of stuff in there that I already know just from working on PC's at home since a young age. I'd just like a qualification on my CV that backs up the knowledge I already have, and also makes me stand out more than other potential candidates when applying for jobs.

http://www.tchc.net/training-services/response-to-redundancy

Someone from this company came into my work to discuss it. On the site it says £1000 is the grant value. This is correct, in the sense that you can use £1000 for whatever you want, i.e. Take an IT course and then get a job as a dog groomer. If your course if more money though, and off the back of the course you get a job, then they return up to £500 of whatever else you have spent.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

FA, you're obviously on here for one reason and one reason only, what with 51 posts on nothing but training provider threads. :rolleyes:

If the government is willing to pay for him to attend a training course, then if he enjoys classroom-based learning, then he has nothing to lose by attending one as long as he doesn't have to borrow or pay any money out of pocket.

However, there are a lot of people who don't even know that self-study is an option. I'm currently being PMed on this very forum by one such individual. So GBL isn't out of line by mentioning self study. It's an option that Troppo ought to be aware of.

Off topic: I don't tire of people offering dissenting opinions on this forum. That's what makes online forums so very useful. What I tire of is people telling others to shut up about their dissenting opinions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I have deleted the contents of my previous post as I myself was flaming and thought best I remove it.
    Point taken from Arroryn... :D

Back to Topic I haven't got much knowledge on the wide variety of TP's that are out there, however I believe that If you paid a big price tag with these courses it is for the mentoring service you can receive from some of them.

If your aiming for a A+ N+ and MCDST then you could probaly find all those for £1500 at your local college and have classroom days and they will (I Imagine) supply your training materials that you can take home to read and study.

Are you looking mainly for distance learning or are you able to attend one or a couple of class room days each week??

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No he hasn't and no he didn't.
    FA has worked for many TPs and so he feels justified in supporting their corner, and what he said was that GBLs anti-TP stance was 'boring'.

Sorry.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Enough - all of you.

There is no point in saying 'sorry to take this further OT' as no one is clearly sorry, and there is more than a little name-calling going on in this thread.

If anyone has any issue with the behaviour of an individual member of this forum, then refer it to the moderating team. Do not air your dirty laundry in public and encourage members to 'log off' as that is certainly not what Certforums is about.

The forum's purpose is not to promote self study - the name of the place is Certforums and whilst yes, the majority of the membership here endorse and advocate the self study route, it is not the only solution.

Our OP is trying to find a valid paid for course, in order to use government funding. Whilst yes, it is valid to point out the existence of self-study for further pursuit of his / her interest in IT, in this case the requirement of this thread is to explore the opportunities for a paid for course.

The benefits of paid for courses -vs- self study has been played out in many a thread, and I will not see this thread reduced to name calling over ground that has been gone over before.

Now, gentlemen, once and for all, bring this thread back to topic, or start a new thread. If you have any concerns over members, contact the moderating team. I will repeat once, and only once, before further action is taken, that personal attacks - flaming - will not be tolerated. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; if you feel opinions overstep the mark, then let the Mods know it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My vote also goes for a local college for assisted learning / direct tuition.

Otherwise the list of large training providers I'm aware of in the UK is :-

http://www.learningtree.co.uk/
    http://www.qa.com/
    http://www.pitman-training.com/
    http://www.bluechip.uk.com
    http://www.firebrandtraining.co.uk/

I've been on paid for training from previous employers with QA and LearningTree amougst others, they are all expensive, but one QA course I took was quite good.

Maybe look into places that offer Cisco IT essentials 1&2 too as I think this is close to the A+/N+ also and may be offered as one course.

Maybe also look into places offering OCR iPro or A+ / N+.

You could probably put it towards year one of a foundation degree if prepared to add some of your own funds for year two.
    (Your local college may offer HNC/HND level courses instead which are broadly equivalent to a foundation degree.)

College courses...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. Troppo

Troppo New Member

Thanks to everyone for your input on this thread. Lots of helpful information and this site is now firmly bookmarked.

I thought I'd post an update and let you know the outcome.

After lots of phoning around and reading reviews of various course providers, I've decided to go with ICS Learn as they offer the best package at a price that won't mean paying a hefty chunk out of my own pocket to combine with the government grant.

I've gone with:-

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/it-technical-courses/it-certification/it-career-starter/

and

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/it-technical-courses/it-certification/microsoft-certified-desktop-support-technician/

They provide me with the study books, DVDs and online support, and I know that if I'd have done self study I'd have got pretty much the same study material at a much lower cost, but in this situation it wasn't an option.

There is no time limit on how long I have to complete these three courses which is great, but as soon as they are done, and *crosses fingers* I've managed to secure a new role after being made redundant and gain a bit more experience, I endevour to study the MCITP or MCSA, and I will certainly be using the self study method for that.

Thanks again for all your help.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think that with that attitude you'll go a long way mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Looks like distance learning with no tuition, so effectively you will be self studying, just the government will have paid £1400 for it, you could have got some genuine tuition for £1400.

However I wish you the best of luck ! :D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Ouch! You still have to pay your own exam fees with those courses, which is over £500.
    If there was a provider that offered you the A+ and N+ with exam fees included that would be a cheaper option because the MCDST self-study should only cost you around £220.(~£35 per book and ~£75 per exam X2)

15. Troppo

Troppo New Member

Sadly I havn't been able to find anyone that will do exam costs included, except for home learning college and Advent, who both want to charge astronomical prices.

They way I see it is that I'll still have to pay for the exams myself, but I'll be staggering it over a year so it isn't as bad.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I do know that the company that helps unemployed people find work do the A+ and N+ for free. I am not sure if they pay for the exams or not though.

The only issue is you would probably have to be unemployed for atleast 6 months before being considered for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. Troppo

Troppo New Member

Don't really fancy being unemployed that long if I have the choice. I've got interviews with several places at the moment, so ideally I'd like to step straight into another 1st or 2nd line support role once this job finishes (or maybe have a week off to play Aion :biggrin ) and study in my own time with this Response to Redundancy grant. Paying £80 - £110 for an exam every other month won't be too much of a concern, as I'm receiving a redundancy payment, but this payment isn't big enough to live off for 6 or more months.

18. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's a pity.
    Helluva price for what they're offering. Good job it's not your money.:biggrin

19. Troppo

Troppo New Member

Tell me about it. If it were my money I'd spend more time looking at all the possibilities, and would no doubt end up buying books off Amazon and doing home study, but time is not on my side with this. I had to get back to them quickly, before the pot of money got used up by all the women in my company who've decided they fancy a change and enrol onto beauty therapist courses :rolleyes: