Replacement Motherboard Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neall, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hello folks.

I have a customers computer, which gave a bios beep code and no video signal when turned on.
    i tracked it down to the motherboard and replaced with a socket 478 P4 Mobo i use for testing for the moment.
    It boots as far as 'Verifying DMI pool data', just after the POST, and hangs.
    It will boot to floppy and cd fine.
    So i put it down to the new motherboard not liking the old installation of Windows XP. Although i havent seen it hang this early before.
    I have so far done the following;

Run FIXMBR
    Run FIXBOOT
    Cleared the CMOS
    Made sure the HDD was set to autodetect

Im now in the middle of a full format/reinstall with a different HDD, to rule out hardware.

I really dont want to do a full format on the orgininal HDD till i have too.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Ok,
    Install of XP on another HDD booted fine.
    Which rules out everything but the old HDD and Operating System.
    Ill try and get an exact replacement of the old mobo which will save some hassle.

Anyone know why it would hang at the 'Verifying DMI'?

Neall

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice link there Trip!

Doing a repair installation on the old HDD should sort the problem out without losing settings/data etc. To me it sounds like a MOBO driver issue.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If there is one thing you can count on is Trip for links.

Before you reply Trip, i know, Google is your friend :tongue

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It will be a driver mismatch from the old motherboard to the new with XP not liking the new motherboard. Sometimes you can be lucky and it will work with you having to then replace the old drivers with the new ones in XP other times it's a new/repair install thats needed.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, ive done a lot or mb replacements with XP and have always had to do a repair install because of driver conflicts, unless of course its a direct replacment with same model/version of mb.
    But as i said, i have never seen it hang that early in the boot process before. I had tried a repair install with no luck, but its all done and dusted now with full format/install.

Cheers.

Neall

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh good, glad to hear it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT