Replacement for MCTS

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by harrisonf123, May 7, 2012.

1. harrisonf123

harrisonf123 New Member

Hi All,

I have been asked to look for some certifications that I want to do at work. I'm looking to take a Server 2008 R2 cert. However browsing around the Microsoft website I find that the MCTS is Server is simply the 2008 one but updated, and they haven't even updated the title for the exam.

The site also says that the MCTS exams are no longer being updated, does this mean that Microsoft has or will be releasing new a new set of exams. So i guess what i'm asking is are the server 2008 exams worth taking?

And a final question if you don't mind, which server exams would you suggest for a technician you has to install, troubleshoot and maintain Windows Servers as well as active directory etc...

I would appreciate any answers that anyone can give.

~ Harrisonf123

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I already have the MTA in Server Administration so I'm looking for something more advanced.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You can still do the exams but instead of going towards the MCITP they now go towards the new MCSA.

As far as are the exams worth taking?? as Microsoft haven't released Server 2012 yet then yes this is still a worthwhile exam series to take, not only that but people are still using Windows 2003 in some environments so I wouldn't worry too much about 2008 being phased out just yet.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. harrisonf123

harrisonf123 New Member

Thanks for the explanation, it helps alot. Also we still have a server running Windows Server 2000 at my work haha!