remote pc stuff

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by zxspectrum, Apr 15, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Has anyone come across anything to do with remote pc stuff
    i was sat here the pther day fixing a blokes computer in america by going into his pc, how mad is that lol

Are there any dos and donts i should know about this great idea ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Remote PC administration has been around for a long time now, there are loads of different tools to enable you to do this.

One important thing to remember is that security must be at the top of the list. You must have some sort of firewall / VPN setup in order to access PC's remotely. Passwords and making sure that you have the right credentials to gain access should be at the front of your thoughts when setting this type of thing up.

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, another point is if you need the user to allow you to connect to their PC. I’ve supported a network where I could connect to any PC (providing it was on); all I had to do was to type a password to log in. It was great as I could work on PCs when people were away on a lunch break or whatever but on the other hand I could connect and watch what they were doing! (not that I did that!) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

For a free one, gotomypc is a good basic package, lets you adminster your computer via the web...

5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

However, GoToMyPC is only free for the first 30 days and only allows access to one computer.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

For free remote administration you can use VNC or if you're using XP / 2003 just enable remote administration / assistance

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

evenb MSN Messenger does it, well the latest ones with XP anyway.

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Has anyone managed to get this to work with out disabling their firewall? I've opened all the right ports but it only seems to work if you are using Windows Firewall. Still, VNC is cool. It has saved me many a lengthy, circuitous phone call with my dad :D !

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

another benefit of Pro over home is RDP, which i believe was devolped jointly by MS and Citrix. RA isn't as good :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT