Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by JAMD69, Jul 13, 2008.

1. JAMD69

JAMD69 New Member

Hi

just wondering if anyone could give me the low down on remote desktops, also taking into consideration hardware and software firewalls...Another thing, would I need a static IP address to achieve success……………any comments welcome

Regards

Jam

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is this for you to access a PC\Server from a remote location?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Remote desktop is great, although Log me in offers more and eliminates firewall/NAT issues.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

There's gotomypc.com too

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I started using teamviewer.com which is nice because the person you are connecting to doesn't need to install anything. You also don't have to worry about firewalls and such.

As for the original post, what exactly are you looking to do with Remote Desktop? Remote controlling a server as Sparky mentioned? Are you connecting to a server on the same network, or a completely different network (ie home network from work)?

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

SSL Explorer's the best product I've used. Provided you have Internet access you can remote control any machine or server from anywhere in the world. Very easy to set-up and best of all the evaluation copy is free!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. Sparky

Dont need to worry about firewalls?!? You guys need to lock down your networks to stop that kinda traffic leaking out! :biggrin

Only kidding, most basic firewalls should allow the connection to pass through.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you used it Simon, and if so is it reasonably fast and stable? I have a user that wants to remote into their work XP Pro box from a Mac.. i presume this program could be a workable option?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

RD web connection may be an alternative, link.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks NightWalker but that feature requires Internet Explorer on the remote PC to access the session and Macs don't have that particular piece of crap installed usually :biggrin

11. Sparky

I use it for a few sites that dont have static IP addresses so I cant get a VPN connection setup. Very stable and I have had no issues with it so far. It runs as a service so you can reboot the machine and log in from the Windows log in page which is handy.

Highly recommended 8)

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There are a few alternatives out there that practically have no setup requirements. What I usually do is setup Ultra VNC and just port forward traffic to what ever the port VNC uses. Of course you would want to have a static IP from your ISP or else you will constantly have to ask for the IP address.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Pete,

I have used the free edition many times, and it works perfectly. I know someone who subscribes to the IT Pro package which requires no installation files and enables you to e-mail the user a link to take over their machine as and when.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, thanks Simon.. i was wondering what the benefit of the pro package was.. that feature sounds kinda cool 8)

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Excellent Sparky thanks.. yeah this client doesn't have a static IP.. so this looks like the way forward :)

16. JAMD69

JAMD69 New Member

Hi Sparky

first of all thanks for showing some interest, the connection is from home to work....

Any ideas...

JAM

17. Sparky

Can you get access to the firewall on your network? If so give open up port 3389 and forward it to the LAN IP of your PC. Give your a PC a static IP as well on the LAN subnet.

I take it your internet connection has at least one static IP at work?