Remote Assistance

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by anto6ik7, Sep 27, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have a problem with Remote Assistance. I am following the example in the book how to use RA. However, when i send the email invitation to the selected the invitation can not be open. It says the link is not find. What could cause the problem?

I have never used Remote Assistance before. So i am not sure how it should work. :oops:

Thank you,

Antons

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi when you create the email invitation did you close all windows afterwards and wait for response? has I beleive you have to still have the remote assistance window open from the "senders" computer for the email invite to work,I could be wrong but someone will be along to advise better If off track :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you for the reply.

I still have the remote assistance open on my computer. So this is not the issue.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you,

Antons

4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

You could have a look at this http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1056068.html

hope it helps

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

First of all is the client recieiving the invitiation? If not then the issue is with your email or not sharing the invitation file out correctly.

If the client does recieve the invitiation, then most likely Port 3389 is blocked. Port 3389 is what Remote Assistance uses to communicate. Disable your firewall software/hardware quickly and see what happens.

Also, you need to check any GPO that are in place, perhaps the best thing to do is check here

One last tip, when I'm studying, I tell people what I have done already (or tried already) and be clear about the exact error message that I'm recieving. It helps other people ascertain exactly what the issue is and how to resolve it.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thanks guys for replies.:)

I have created 2 hosts using vmware and I tested in a such way the remote assistance. I can connect to the remote computer using send file before. However, I still could not do it using the email. So i have looked in the web and I found the following info:

Network Address Translation (NAT)
    If the user is on a network that uses Network Address Translation (NAT) or Microsoft’s Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), which is a “light” version of NAT, he or she will not be able to initiate a Remote Assistance session via e-mail. In this case, try using Windows Messenger Service to send the assistance request.

Does it mean if i am behind the firewall and I am using Nat i can not use the email for remote assistance?

It looks like that.:dry

Thanks for help.