remote access

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Ozzy2k7, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Hi,

I'm wanting to be able to access my machines as well as my families machines remotely. I've been looking at logmein as an easy was of doing this.

I thought I would open the floor and get advise from you all on this. Is this the best option or are there others that I don't know about. I'm still working out if the free one is ok or do i need more....while i would like it can i justify the cost.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and anyother ways of doing this.

WIP: A+ Network+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've wondered this as well - I support my parents and sisters PC remotely from about 80 miles - at the mo I just use MSN messenger to take over their computer mainly because I couldn't be bothered to find another way...... I'd be interested in the outcome of this thread.

As an aside, remotely - how remote are you from them? If they're across the room VNC has given me good results before.
    If they are remote from your location, are they hooked directly up to the internet or behind a router/hub?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Hi,

Well I'm impressed with the response thanks.

two of the machines are on my network but I have a couple of family machines that are in a different location behind a nat router.

WIP: A+ Network+
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

well the clients that are on your network, get off ya butt and move over to them :biggrin:twisted:
    or failing that VNC would work well.

behind a router - I've thought about heading down this route to find out, but never did I'm afraid - will have to see what others are suggesting.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well depending on what OSs are being used, if the targer PC is running XP Pro, you can always use Remote Desktop. If it's behind a NAT device, you would need to port forward 3389 to the private (static) IP of the client.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LogMeIn works very well for me in similar situations. of course, a lot of the time, you'll be trying to resolve a problem that is preventing someone from connecting to the internet - so unless its already installed, you might have trouble getting it on to the PC in the first place.

RDP works fine, but I'd never use it on my network as I simply don't want people running TSGrind against boxes on my LAN after portscanning me and finding 3389 (or whatever other port I'd run it on) listening.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I’ve noticed that some intrusion prevention policies on my firewalls are now blocking traffic on port 3389 even if its open. Now I have to find out who opened the port! :dry

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Here is another VNC user it's free and does the job what more can I say

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I do exactly as Bluerinse said. I access my home Pc via my firewalled Router, from work Via thier Firewalled Internet server, using RDP in XP. It's fairly easy to set up and runs ok. It can be a bit slow depending on what you do with it and i can't transfer any files from one machine to the other but it works. In fact i'm doing that right now with this thread, i'm at work running IE7 onmy home pc to type this message.

One other thing to say is that we have had customers use RDP on thier systems and it has caused some crashes when it opens apps that are already running, but this is rare.

We also use VNC over VPNs to customers which runs ok, this also lets us transfer files which is and advantage over RDP. But it was harder to setup and secure in my opinion.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

not sure if there is a policy in place preventing you, but RDP does allow this. Go to the resources tab and select drives.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT