Remembering IRQ's, COM and LPT

Discussion in 'A+' started by tony_baduk, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Still studying the great Mike Meyers 6th Edition book.

Is there an easy way of remembering the IRQ's, COMP and LPT ports? There are so many little numbers, just thought there maybe a technique to remember them more easily.

Thanks for your help.

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Flash cards help for some people. Seeing them over and over in the "old days", when IRQ conflicts were commonplace, is what did it for me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep, repitition is the way! Poscards, flashcards, call them what you will. Look, and *you* will remember them! :)

Good luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

When I was studying this I did pretty much the same as Malnomates. I try find patterns in everything as it always makes things much easier to remember.

You give me a long string of numbers I'll try to find dates, patterns of four or even seven (phone numbers) and memorize those patterns. That way I can take a long string of numbers and only have remember only 3 or 4 things to put the entire string into memory.

I still remember my original drivers license number from the state of Oregon that I got in 1969. It just broke down into easily remembered patterns. The same with my current bank account numbers. The patterns in them are very easy to memorize. It amazes the bank tellers when they ask me for my account number and I just rattle it off from memory rather than dig out a check book or some other piece of paper.

So, for anything you have to memorize, find patterns, ways of memorizing things. I still remember what all the color codes on transistors are because I used a mnemonic device. All I had to recall the colors was remember the phrase "Bad Boys Ruin Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly Get Some Now". That's stuck with me for more than a quarter century. It only took me a few minutes to learn it too.

So, whenever you can find patterns to memorize. I can't tell you what to look for because you'll probably use different patterns than I do, but just look for patterns. For me the main one I used in IRQ's and COM ports was odd and even.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. Very very useful indeed.

I have already tried that and it does help alot.

Thanks again!

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
  7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

When I was studying for my A+ I printed off a list of the IRQs and and gave it to a colleauge at work whos instructions were to ask me random questiopns at odd times of the day, like (as I'm walking out the door) "What's the IRQ for com port 2?" or (as I'm nodding off) "what is assigned to IRQ 13?"

That helped me no end because I find you can memorise these things but after not using them for a while your brain bertrays ya and throws the information away - damn my brain :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

I normally put these on exel sheets or pdf, and try to memorise it...will be giving my A+ soon

Attached Files:

• IRQ.pdf
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: CCNA N+
  9. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

I just recently used Mike's 6th edition as well. Passed 601 and 602 with it. In order to memorize the IRQ settings I wrote them in a two-column list on a note card. You many be different than me, but I was able to burn an image of that card into my head. This way you don't have to memorize a list necessarily, you can just read off of the card in your head.

The bummer about Mike's book is that he basically left out a complete list of standard IRQ settings. I had to look in a competitor's book to find it.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSA