reference

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You aren't stuck with the personality you were born with otherwise you would be a simpering baby crying at anything and everything.
    You are who you want to be, as a solder for 10 years I can tell you that the personality of that guy is a far cry from the personality of the IT Professional that I am now. In social situations I am a mixture of all sorts. You temper your personality to your local environment and adapt because if you don't you don't survive, it's as simple as that.

What worries me is that you say the words but so far that's just it, you may well have to eat humble pie and take a step backwards to move forwards with your career, I know because I did the same thing about 10 years ago (I took a step backwards with the work that I did, left the country and eventually met the woman I married who is the mother to my two wonderful kids), I was a rising star that had every opportunity but due to circumstances had to take a step backwards, that hindered me for a number of years, reduced my take home but actually made me a better person today.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Coupe2T likes this.
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Agree with @SimonD as I also had to do something kind of similar.

I studied IT etc at school and college and then did some apprentice work earning peanuts to gain experience and then when that ended as the company moved their offices I was unable to find any other IT work locally at the time, Ended up for a few months working as a machine operator for an agency and then a friend got me a job at a Hungry Horse restaurant working in the kitchen.

4 years later I was a licensee and ran that same Hungry Horse restaurant and also met my wife working there and we also have a young daughter etc. I then decided to make another go at IT as it was always what I originally wanted to do and have since worked my way up to working now as a Network Support Engineer for a massive multi national blue chip company and I did it all without stepping on toes or upsetting people etc.

Needless to say that throughout all of the above my personality and they way I acted changed A LOT! Working in the pub environment is leagues away from a serious IT role I can certainly tell you that much! lol.

The good thing is you acknowledge and say you want to change, so now lets see it in action! You are only going to harm yourself if you continue on how you have been so far, so it's all in your hands.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

that's very true Simon, but I am just going to let things naturally play out, I am not taking a step back on purpose to move forward, if it happens it happens, I am not naturally going to go back to a support/junior role etc on purpose and move up etc again, that's just not smart, especially after how long I come. The last I checked I am way over qualified for those roles that's what the recruitment places said, but yes you are right, the further I go in my career and the more I bring this attitude of mine the bigger its going to back fire, one day I could be at a great stage in my career and if I act like this again since my country is a small place everyone will know and yes my career could be over and I could do odd jobs for the rest of my life, worst I might not get hired for anything, :(. You never ever know what will happen in life and me losing my job made me very aware of that so I am always couscous and I know I have to change and actions speak louder than words and believe me I know this is a huge issue and I am trying to resolve it, this is what happens when you do not fix things when you were little when you grow up it gets you into trouble, and yes I will change.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015