Recruitment agencies fishing for contacts

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, Feb 1, 2011.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Hi

I've had a few recruitment agencies call me up and discuss my CV basically to try and get contact names of previous managers, IT managers, that type of thing, so they can contact them and try and sell their services. I'm getting quite good at sniffing them out now.

I've had a call today from someone who 'represents lots of clients' bla bla, but he's also asked me to forward on references to 'prove that I'm serious about my next role'.

Now, thinking about it.. I don't have references on my CV as it stops referees from constantly being bugged by agencies. I also don't want my current employer to find out that I'm looking for a new job. I can't help but think this guy is a bit fishy and is just after the contacts so he can contact them himself. There is also a massive risk of another agency or even a company contacting my current employer for a reference, which will cause me problems.

What do you think?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ignore them and move on.

3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It's seems to be getting more common place now. I've had quite a few emails asking for various bits of info about previous jobs and my current job! Recently, an agent that got me a job 4 years emailed me asking for details about my current job and boss etc so he could put me forward for roles with IBM, Crap Gemini and the like. Quite a shame that he's had to resort to fishing!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont have any reference details on my cv either, just the name of the company and thats it.

I wouldnt give out reference details until i had been offered the job in writing.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Same here. It's nobodies business but mine until a concrete offer is on the table.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. force1

force1 Bit Poster

i used it get this exact same problem. why ask for referees this early?? politely tell them these will be provided once you have been interviewed, decided to accept the role and finally and most importantly u have a contract that you can read through first, only then once you are happy with this you will provide the contacts. i used to get some asking via email. my ans mickey mouse and donald duck, address - walt disney world. simples :)

Certifications: 70-647
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong then. I just get agents ringing me up and throwing jobs at me. I got called today and the woman wants to give me two jobs. The funny thing is, she was in England and the jobs are in Zurich.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. CertifyMe

CertifyMe Bit Poster

It's very annoying sometimes how these recruitment agents deal themselves..I know at the end of the day they are just trying to work, but somebody has to watch these people.

9. recruiteasy

recruiteasy Banned

Interesting reading your threads. I have been working in IT myself for the past 15 years. Until last June when the mobile phone company I had been with for 6 of those years went into administration. Fortunately for me my boss had other plans so although made redundant was quickly taken on again in a new venture still managing IT but for a recruitment company. Now lets get this straight I am not a recruiter, I am an IT manager but I do have respect and some faith in my boss who has been ripped off over 12 years by traditional recruitment agencies charging crazy fees and operating in an unorthodox manner. This is where spam.co.uk is different. I will tell you that there are a load of free resources and tools designed to help you get a job on our site. Everything we do is free of charge to the employee or potential job hunter. There is a useful personal profile blueprint system that has been developed over the last 7 years that can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses even if you are not looking for work. Its a psychometric test. We will never ask you for references either until you have been for interview. Hope this is useful for some and you don't set me on fire for writing this but if you take a look and find it useful great, if not then no harm done https://www.spam.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's just who I'd want to help me find a new career.

An ex-mobile phone salesman.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

it seems that a lot of Training providers are doingteh same. I've had one or two cold call me saying if i go with them they can get me a job, but after i've had training. No mention of fees or anything and they wanted my details. I've also seen the same thing on job websites, agencies and TPs with adverts liek this
    http://www.jobswales.co.uk/vacancy/29045499/it+++ict+++helpdesk+++1st+line+support+++desktop+support+++it+support?primaryLocation=Wales&location=bridgend&areaid=234433&maxResults=84&parentId=1393203963&chk=748d2609b66434874a756583d134919d&page=4&navigatorFilters={6%3D[26]}&pagetype=searchresults&within=30&offset=34&filters=6%3A26

and ths one (same company)

http://www.jobswales.co.uk/vacancy/29015708/it+engineer+++no+experience+needed+++++it+administrator+++network+engineer+++systems+engineer+++microsoft?primaryLocation=Wales&location=bridgend&areaid=234433&maxResults=84&parentId=1393204732&chk=748d2609b66434874a756583d134919d&page=5&navigatorFilters={6%3D[26]}&pagetype=searchresults&within=30&offset=43&filters=6%3A26

At least this one does say they do training, but its under teh guise of employment and available jobs. I'm always wary of any agency cold calling em and asking for my details, just in case thier not legit or in case all they want is to make thier books look good.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. Diana

Diana New Member

Hi,

I hear that all the time. It is not normal practice to ask references upfront so just pass them on, its that simple. I know many reasearcher who work for recruiters, it's their job to do that and some are very ruthless.

Diana